Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-01-2013, 08:43 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

The rock is already in my tank. I have not tested for copper. I am a newbie. I only have a hydrometer thus far.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:47 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ah ok, no fish then? I think someone has asked already but is the tank cycled? My advice would be to get a saltwater test kit so you can check your water. Tell us more about your set up, size, lighting, filtration etc...

Old 03-01-2013, 09:21 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

No fish yet. Tank has not cycled yet. Its in process now. 56gallon tank. About 50 lbs of rock. Im currently using MicroBacter7 to help with the cycle. For lighting im using metal halide. Dont have my light hooked up yet so for now its just got the little pet smart light on it.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:46 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

And for a starter filter I am using an aqua clear 110
Old 03-01-2013, 09:51 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You should be fine for the rock then. It might actually help with the cycle. Also an aqua clear 110? Isn't that a power head? Do you have a hob filter? A test kit will be very valuable. Also sometimes hydrometers aren't accurate. I'd recommend taking a sample of water to you lfs and having them test your water with a refractometer. That will tell you wether your hydrometer is reading accurately. You'll get tons of help from this forum.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:53 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cool, I have never heard of that product for cycling but sounds good. You got any power heads? Planning on a skimmer? What's your plans for livestock when you are ready? I have a 55g so similar size, different footprint tho...
Old 03-01-2013, 09:58 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Me either, hopefully the rock that you bought had some good dead stuff on it. The ammonia test will tell a lot! Keep us posted
Old 03-01-2013, 10:02 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterNuB View Post
You should be fine for the rock then. It might actually help with the cycle. Also an aqua clear 110? Isn't that a power head? Do you have a hob filter? A test kit will be very valuable. Also sometimes hydrometers aren't accurate. I'd recommend taking a sample of water to you lfs and having them test your water with a refractometer. That will tell you wether your hydrometer is reading accurately. You'll get tons of help from this forum.
Yea that makes sence to do that witb the water to make sure my hydrometer is corect. And no the aqua clear 110 is a filter. I have a power head also. And yea this forum is the best!
Old 03-01-2013, 10:07 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I remember when I first tested I thought my water was a perfect 1.023, then I took a sample to my lfs and she broke the news to me that it was only 1.017. Heartbreaking when you're anticipating getting fish.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:08 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bectan01 View Post
Cool, I have never heard of that product for cycling but sounds good. You got any power heads? Planning on a skimmer? What's your plans for livestock when you are ready? I have a 55g so similar size, different footprint tho...
Got one of these. And I plan on a skimmer soon. Got any ideas for me on a skimmer. Im starting with a fowler but want to grow to a reef eventually

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130301_210713.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	156268

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com