Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-06-2006, 06:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
newbie help please 29g start up

Hello new to the forums and saltwater

I have a 29 gal tank with the lights, heater, and a fluval canister filter. I am trying to decide if i want to go freshwater or saltwater in this tank. I originally was going to do freshwater but every fish i look at that i would like to put in there gets too big. So i am thinking about saltwater because it seams that even the smallest fish look sooo cool. So here is my question, if i was to go saltwater i will do fowlr. How much would you say that the startup would cost with out the cost of fish? I guess i basically need salt for the water, live rock, crushed coral/ sand (you guys decide)and the other basic needs like test kits and chemical if needed. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys

tremolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 06:45 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
I will go over some of my costs, just for comparison.

Salt, 160 gallon mix bucket - $39
Live Rock - Depends on where you get it from. I'm guessing you'll spend anywhere from $100 to $200 for 30-50 lbs.
Sand - Better than CC in my opinion, You can find for maybe $20 if you like Aragonite. Live sand will cost you about $40 for 30 lbs or so.
Test kits - Saltwater Master kit $15

Total- $250-$300

No other chemicals needed really in a FOWLR setup.

You can cycle your tank with the liverock as well. Add it in and you'll be set. Again, this is a rough estimate. You may find some good deals around.

Welcome to AA, btw.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 10:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to jaiden
maybe a powerhead or two for some extra water movement. you can use hirocks.com rock to save some money (doesn't look as good at first, but it works)
54g all-glass bowfront corner planted FW

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 10:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!!
While some may disagree with me, I think a 29gal is a good starter size for someone lookin gto get into SW. The bigger, the better, but a 29gal is not too bad. The start-up costs will not break the bank and the, with regular maintanance, the tank should remain fairly foregiving. IF it were me, I would skip the canister filter and invest the money in a good skimmer and LR. You will need about 45-60lbs for good biological filtration. LS is a much better choice for substrate then is CC. Do not be surprised if the price of starting a tank climbs with each day. It seems there is always something you forget about or decide you need.
Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:11 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Welcome to AA!!

Here are some ideas for a smaller tank, with lots of color:

Check the nano fish.

LS is a much better choice for substrate then is CC
I agree, just went through the pain of removing my CC and replacing w/LS.
Looks like Devilishturtles hit it pretty close in costs. You can get online and get better deals than at your LFS (mine seems to double the prices of anything online).
Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:13 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to FishFrik
Wow devil, that's a really good start-up cost. I wish i found this forum earlier so i wouldn't have to paid so much to start up my 29G XD
I'm one of those fishnutz, who are actually nutz.
FishFrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 02:13 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
Get the best skimmer you can afford, most important piece of equipment bar none.
Scottm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 07:33 AM   #8
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I say make sure of the skimmer also

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

29 gallon, start

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com