newbie help please 29g start up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tremolo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello new to the forums and saltwater

I have a 29 gal tank with the lights, heater, and a fluval canister filter. I am trying to decide if i want to go freshwater or saltwater in this tank. I originally was going to do freshwater but every fish i look at that i would like to put in there gets too big. So i am thinking about saltwater because it seams that even the smallest fish look sooo cool. So here is my question, if i was to go saltwater i will do fowlr. How much would you say that the startup would cost with out the cost of fish? I guess i basically need salt for the water, live rock, crushed coral/ sand (you guys decide)and the other basic needs like test kits and chemical if needed. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys

Vince

I will go over some of my costs, just for comparison.

Salt, 160 gallon mix bucket - $39
Live Rock - Depends on where you get it from. I'm guessing you'll spend anywhere from $100 to $200 for 30-50 lbs.
Sand - Better than CC in my opinion, You can find for maybe $20 if you like Aragonite. Live sand will cost you about $40 for 30 lbs or so.
Test kits - Saltwater Master kit $15

Total- $250-$300

No other chemicals needed really in a FOWLR setup.

You can cycle your tank with the liverock as well. Add it in and you'll be set. Again, this is a rough estimate. You may find some good deals around.

Welcome to AA, btw. :)

maybe a powerhead or two for some extra water movement. you can use hirocks.com rock to save some money (doesn't look as good at first, but it works)

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
While some may disagree with me, I think a 29gal is a good starter size for someone lookin gto get into SW. The bigger, the better, but a 29gal is not too bad. The start-up costs will not break the bank and the, with regular maintanance, the tank should remain fairly foregiving. IF it were me, I would skip the canister filter and invest the money in a good skimmer and LR. You will need about 45-60lbs for good biological filtration. LS is a much better choice for substrate then is CC. Do not be surprised if the price of starting a tank climbs with each day. It seems there is always something you forget about or decide you need.

Welcome to AA!!

Here are some ideas for a smaller tank, with lots of color:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/categ.cfm?pCatId=15
Check the nano fish.

LS is a much better choice for substrate then is CC
I agree, just went through the pain of removing my CC and replacing w/LS.
Looks like Devilishturtles hit it pretty close in costs. You can get online and get better deals than at your LFS (mine seems to double the prices of anything online).

Wow devil, that's a really good start-up cost. I wish i found this forum earlier so i wouldn't have to paid so much to start up my 29G XD

Back
Top Bottom