Newbie looking for stocking input

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bost0109

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
I am well versed in freshwater aquariums but this is my first attempt at a FOWLR saltwater set-up. It will start as a 40 gallon breeder with a 20 gallon long DIY sump underneath ( with Refugium and protein skimmer compartments). I have tons of questions, but two main ones at the moment:

1. Working stocking list
- 1 x black and white clownfish
- goby/ pistol shrimp pair
- 1 x six lined wrasse
- 2 x Kauderns cardinals

Will this likely be a reasonable stocking or will this be too much for the system to handle?

2. Lighting- I would like to grow coralline algae in the tank. Wondering if 36" t5 HO ( 1 actinic and 1 10,000k bulb for a total of 72 watts ) would be sufficient?

That's a bit under stocked IMO but that's not an issue :). Coraline will grow under most lighting. The 2 bulb t5 will be fine and you can probably grow some soft corals under that as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Maybe I could add an orchid dotty back to the stocking list?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

You're in good shape with that community, I agree that you are under stocked. You could afford to add a few more guys ?

I'd be careful with the dottyback and 6 line together in that size tank

Clown instead of dotty back? Would I have to add both clowns at the same time? What about long-nosed hawk fish instead? I love the movement of clowns, but since it will be my first addition to the tank, I am assuming I wouldn't want to place both in at the same time. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I'd put them both in at the same time

Flame Hawks and Spotted Hawks are funny characters, too ?

Back
Top Bottom