Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-06-2006, 01:11 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to oo7cable
Ok so Im still waiting on the Master Test Kit. Thanks again for all the info, I know you must answer "Dumd newbie" questions all the time! So Ive got one more for ya, Lighting! Have any of you had experience with this light?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1 Seems cheap to me, even though it is name brand!
Or this one, seems much better.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I would love to get a Metal Halide for under $300 but that dosent seem plausable. Im on a tight budget, I have newborn twins and Im going through diapers like crazy!!!

Thanks again guys!

Old 10-06-2006, 01:19 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I believe, I have seen some folks get the 2nd one and I don't recall them having any complaints. It also has the moon lights, that are pretty neat.
I have these:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2004+113175
Keep in mind, you may get an algae bloom, due to the new lights.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 01:26 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ohh sweet! I think I will get that light! I couldnt find any T-5 for under $250!

At this point an algae bloom would be welcome! At least then I know my tank is fine! I have since moved my tank away from the window. I havent noticed a difference yet, but I doubt I will. My fish seem to like it better though. Except my Bicolored Angel, he just hides in the LR all day....Is that normal? He feeds well, he just seems shy. My other fish will eat out of my hand, but he waits till he cant see me. Its kinda funny. I have a Neon Velvet thats about 4" and he used to be the Tank King, untill I got the Angel. Now it seems that the Angel is the Tank King!
Old 10-06-2006, 01:36 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Looking at your info, if you are staying with FOWLR, I wouldn't worry about MH. Also, if you are on a budget, you can probably skip the skimmer, for now and add mor LR or base rock. How big is that puffer and what kind. It looks like you have a slightly overstocked tank, looks like 9 fish?

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 10-06-2006, 01:49 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

How bad is my over stocking?

My Puffer is a bit of a mystery to me. I thought he was a "Figure-8" But after researching I found that he is actually a new species. there is no latin name for him yet. He's called a Sri lankan Puffer. Why? I dont know, I assume thats where he comes from. Hes not that Big, YET, and hes very friendly! Once a week I get him som softshell crabs to hunt down, its quite amusing! My son named him Coco as in Cocopuff...I thought it was pretty cleaver for a 4 yearold!

Ooops- He is about 3" from Nose to tail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coco_130.jpg (176.8 KB, 16 views)
Old 10-06-2006, 02:02 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

WOW! That's a cool puffer!!!
This is the pert that is confusing to me:
"Neon Velvet, Damsels - Blue/Black and White/Black white spot/Blue Yellow tail/ 2 of each"
Does this mean there are two of each of these?
So you have a blue damsel, black and white (stripes, how many?), black white spot (possibly a domino?), yellow tail damsels?
liveaquaria.com might help you ID them:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=28

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 10-06-2006, 02:11 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yeah Coco is my favorite!

Sorry about the confusion, im just as confused!
2 Blue Devil - 2 Three Stripe - 2 Domino - 1 Yellow tail - 2 percula clowns - 1 Neon Velvet - 1 Bicolored Angel - 1 puffer so 12 fish total. Clowns and Damsels are about 1.5" each. Puffer is 3" Angel and Neon are 4"

Is that too much? I plan on building a reef someday, with a bigger tank! 125gal maybe.
They all seem to like it in there, they get along great. Theres plenty of hiding space. I plan on doubling my LR but its so expensive!! LFS its $8lbs.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:21 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

WOW! That is a lot of fish in that 55G. Most of them (damsels) tend to be agressive or at least become more so, as they get older. Any chance you can take some back to the LFS and maybe trade fro some LR or base rock?

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 10-06-2006, 02:27 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

I dont think I can take them back, Ive had them for quite a while! they all seem pretty happy, is ther any signs I should look out for? Will they end up producing too much Ammonia? Maybe I should get the bigger tank...Its either that or Lights...
Old 10-06-2006, 02:36 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by oo7cable
I dont think I can take them back, Ive had them for quite a while! they all seem pretty happy, is ther any signs I should look out for? Will they end up producing too much Ammonia? Maybe I should get the bigger tank...Its either that or Lights...
You will see nipped fins, maybe fighting. Your water parameters might start to get out of control, with a bio-load that high, especially when the puffer gets bigger.
Hmmm, bigger tank or lights? LOL! Maybe there are fellow AA'ers in your area that you might be able to give/sell or trade. Personally, I would take back some damsels. If they are not fighting now, they might soon.
Keep an eye on them and definitely watch your water parameters.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott

Tags
coral, coraline, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com