Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-01-2006, 04:34 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to oo7cable
Newbie - LR and Coraline/Lighting Question

Hey everyone,
I have a 55gal FOWLR tank. Ive had it for about a year and a half. Fish consists of 2 Percula Clowns, shrilanka (sp) Puffer, Neon damsel (about 4") 2 Blue damsel 2 Black Damsel (With the white dot) 2 "Black/White Damsels Bicolored Angel, 10-15 herit crabs. 20-25 Lbs LR, Rena Filstar XP 200 NO LIGHTING! I was told by my LFS that I didnt need it for my fish.... I had an in tank protein skimmer but could never get it to work right, so im loking for a new one, prefer to place it under my tank even though I have no sump. Is this possible? Anyway on to my Question. What kind of lighting do I need to get my Coraline to grow? I have never really grown any algae in my tank (just a very small amount of brown) good or bad. I dont know if my LR is still "alive". Is there any Coraline that I could buy online to help promote growth in my tank? Should I get some more LR? And what about "live sand" should I get some? Sorry to ramble on! Here is a pic of my LR.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lr2_409.jpg (199.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg lr_344.jpg (172.4 KB, 13 views)

Old 10-01-2006, 10:12 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Kent Marine has a whole line of products that help promote coraline algae growth. I would suggest adding the Calcium supplement.

Old 10-01-2006, 10:14 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

oh i missed that NO LIghting comment... that's a problem. Coraline Algae likes light.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:29 AM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

WHat are your calcium and alk readings. I would do some PWC`s to try to get them where they need to be if not correct. Post your water test results and we can go from there.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 12:05 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Will do, I need to get more test kits today. Any suggestions on Lighting? I was thinking of getting a Metal Halide set up, as I would love to get some Corals one day. Any suggestions? I didnt think I needed lighting, I live in Huntington Beach and my tank is across a window that gets great sunlight all day, but I guess I do. I have some sort of white "growth" all over the tank, I assume this is coraline. Its small dots that are hard to clean off the glass. Am I right? Ive also had an NO3 problem, its almost always between 20-40ppm and as high as 60ppm. I only did PWC once a month did about 60-70% but I have switched to once a week at about 20%. I am using tap water though, my LFS has crappy premix SW full of all sorts of stuff! I hope to get a RO filter, but I really have no where to place it. I still need a good Skimmer. Is there a way to place it under the tank and just run inlet/return lines? I dont have a sump. My next tank will though but who knows when I will get that! Well thanks for the input! I'll post up the test results later!
Old 10-01-2006, 01:46 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

The ole 52 questions trick, huh. The metal halides would be a good choice. You can have just about any coral with them. the sunlight that comes from your window if shining in your tank is a disater waiting to happen. It will cause bad algea and eventually an algea bloom in yuour tank. Direct lighting over your tank is the only way to go since the light from your window is diffused going through the window and tank glass. The white growth is most likely pods from your LR. 10-20 percent weekly is ideal. Your 60% nitrates is most likely from using tap water. RO/DI is reccommended for a reef tank. Yes please post your results. Good Luck

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 10-01-2006, 04:28 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
WELCOME TO AA!!
I like the T5 lighting. It looks like your LR is still live, but there is no real growth on it. You should have featherduster and all kinds of other stuff. Kepep in mind, when you add lights, there is a possibility for an algae bloom, nothing to worry a bout and perfectly natural.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 04:11 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok, so I had to order a new Master Test kit, should be here in a few days. I'll post up the results then. But can anyone tell me what this growth is? I have searched all over hte internet and have found many different things that I dont know what to believe. Someone said it was white Coraline, but I doubt it. Sorry for all the Newbie questions, but I have to learn some how!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg growth1_634.jpg (158.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg growth_179.jpg (162.0 KB, 14 views)
Old 10-04-2006, 09:26 AM   #9
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

That`s not coraline it is some pods that come from your LR . They will eventually die off.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 10-04-2006, 10:57 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Those look like beneficial "pods" and possibly a few very small feather dusters (the onse that are not circles, mainly the ones on the left of the 1st pic).

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coral, coraline, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com