Newbie Needs Advice on FOwLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrettyFishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm new as well and in the research phase of the process. My Goal is to have a FO tank. From what I gather, LR is a good thing to use...what about cured corals? I'd like to have both. Also... I was planning on getting an Amiracle SL-250 for a 90gal tank... And now, I see that Rio Pumps get a bad name... What's a good replacement? Lastly, what about protein skimmers? I had two LFS's tell me they are not neccesary. Also... I guess I should be looking into LS as well... I was goign to use crushed coral.

This is what I planned to get:

90 Gal R/R Tank
Amiracle SL-250
Rio 3100 (900gph)
Aqua Ultraviolet 25W
About 60-70# of LR (From Where is the best?)

Your help is much appreciated

Mark

I recommend a 20L for a sump. Spend the money saved on your wet/dry (approx $200) for another 30-40# LR and a Mag-9 pump (for your return). You're correct on the Rio's. Cheap components cause them to fail prematurely. I would never use a Rio for my main pump. You could even use a Quiet One or a Little Giant external pump and drill the side of the 20L to accomodate a bulkhead. You're from NJ so you should be able to find Southdown Tropical Playsand in a local Home Depot. Use that for your sand. It will be live sand in a matter of weeks.

Don't know what you mean by "cured corals".

I suggest the followng order of activities. Put the LR in. Put the sand in. Put the new saltwater in. Let it cycle. Gently blow off the LR with a turkey baster when necessary. After your tank is cycled and up and running for a few weeks, the sand will settle down and quit clouding.

And now, I see that Rio Pumps get a bad name... What's a good replacement?
If you are speaking of powerheads, I believe maxi jet is the best pump made.
Lastly, what about protein skimmers? I had two LFS's tell me they are not neccesary
Some people use them some people dont. I personally use them because it reduces how often I have to do water changes. The cons of using them is that they can kill some benificial organisms. However this really does not effect FO tanks. I would run a skimmer on the tank if you were planning to stock it full. But if you are going to have a very light bioload, it is unnessary.

Crushed coral does not allow for the production of beneficial bacteria as well as aragonite, southdown playsand (also aragonite sand and available at some Home Depot stores) or live sand. Coral skelatons ( I assume that is what you meant by "cured Corals") are fine for decoration but Live rock is much more pourous and allows for better filtration. Shoot for at least 1# per gallon of water, the more the better. I use aquaclear and maxijet water pumps as both are very reliable. If you are going to have a moderate ot heavy bioload, you will benefit from a protein skimmer, a good quality inexpensive skimmer is red sea prism brand, I have had good luck with mine. Good luck.

Thanks for the comments so far.... Of course... I have more questions. With LR...if the fish get sick and I have to medicate, doesn't that kill the LR?

What about the Amiracle Hurricane vortex proteim skimmer?

If the fish get sick you should never put medication into the main tank. instead elect to medicate the fish in a hospital tank. Many medications are copperbased and copper is highly toxic to many inverts.

For info on how to setup a hospital or quarinteen tank check out our articles linked off the front page.

just pray it doesnt happen, catching the little buggers amongst 100 plus pounds of liverock is NOT easy. :lol:

So... what if all the fish get sick? You put them in quarantine tank(s)... But what about the rocks? How do you deal with an outbreak and not kill the rocks?

Sorry..but I have more questions.

As far as sumps go, do they manufacture pre-drilled sumps?

Which is best maintenance-wise - Quiet One or Iwaki?

How didfficult is it to do water changes with sand? Any Tips?

How do you handle the task of daily top-offs? Are you mxing everytime...using dechlorinated tap water or what?

As far as sumps go, do they manufacture pre-drilled sumps?
Yes but it will be cheaper to DIY.

Which is best maintenance-wise - Quiet One or Iwaki?
They are both low maintenance pumps. Never owned an Iwaki. You have to put a drop of oil on teh motor bearings every once in a while.

How didfficult is it to do water changes with sand? Any Tips?
Easy. Stick a hose in the water and siphon out the bad. Use a powerhead to pump in the good. With a sump, put the good water in the sump and let your recirc pump put it back in the tank for you.

How do you handle the task of daily top-offs? Are you mxing everytime...using dechlorinated tap water or what?
Only top off with dechlorinated tap water (if that's all you have) or RO/DI water (better). To automate it you will need a float switch in the sump, a dosing pump, and a reservoir of water. Many people use limewater (kalkwasser, Calcium hydroxide and water) to top off. This adds calcium and helps maintain alkalinity at the same time as replacing evaporated water.

Okay. Contrary to what the LFS told (don't use LR), I feel I should use a LR/LS combo as it will be better for my future "children." Also, now that I've learned that bio-balls are breeding ground for nitrates, I've decided to use a sump. In planning to get/make a sump... what do I need to look out for / do to the sump... in preparation for an external return pump and a protein skimmer? (Do PRotein Skimmers just sit in teh sump?)

Protein skimmer can sit in the sump or not. I like in the sump because I use a submersible pump for it.
If you DIY you're going to need some acrylic or something to make baffles out of to keep the bubbles out of the return pump. Manufactured sumps already have baffles but ar more expensive. Lot of people use wet/dry boxes for sumps, mainly because they already had one before converting to a reef.

With a simple sump, I know I need a bulkhead for the pump,

but do I also need one for the inflow from the 90 gal AGA R/R setup?

Will I need to cut holes in the lid for the skimmer?

Does anyone have a pic of their sump setup that I can view?

Plumb the pipe from the main tank to a baffled compartment in the sump. No bulkhead, just come in through the top. I use a converted wet/dry so pics may not help. You don't have a lid on the sump. Shouldn't have lids on the 90 either for that matter.
I try to post a decent pic late, hopefully someone else will.

THe link below will take you to a photo album showing my sump and plumbing on my 80.

http://www.vafishfreek.com/gallery/Sump_Photos

NOTE: You said you had a reef ready tank so you will have a built in overflow where I have a hang on overflow. As Mark said plumb the overflows from the main tank into your sump.

You dont need a bulkhead in your sump if your using a submersible pump. I have an external pump so I have a bulkhead on mine.

Note in my photos nothing is covered. The tank is open and the sump is open. This is to facilitate better cooling thru evaporation and also to maximize gas exchange.

So when using the LR/DSB method, you are not using any mechanical or chemical filtration...correct?

Pros & Cons of submersible vs external return pumps anyone?

Back
Top Bottom