Newbie needs some guidance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

friedchicken2500

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I always wanted a saltwater aquarium and recieved a tank for my b-day.
I am thrilled, but im a bit confused as to what I need. I do have experience with fish, but mostly freshwater.

It is a 29 gallon tank and came with a 100 watt heater, a power filter (charcoal filter), and a hood with a light housing and bulb (20 watt florescent).
Its been set up for over a week with a couple inches of gravel and and some decorative coral added. The salitidy is fine, the temperature is at a good 75 degrees, and the KH, PH, etc. seem good. No fish as of now.

Now I would prefer to add a live rock or two, in order to have the "fish only with live rock" look.
1) So do I need a more powerful light? I know I would for a reef tank, but im not sure with a FOWTL tank. My light housing is rated at 20 watts, so im afraid that if i do need more light, im going to have to dish out some more money for a whole new unit. From what i read, this light isnt very powerful, but it seems quite bright and i dont see why it couldnt do the job.
2) as far as i understand, since i have a smaller tank, a power filter, and will only have a little live rock, a protein skimmer is not really necessary to have. Am I correct?

Critters I would like after I test with some cheapy fish:
I know I want a clown fish, and some others around the same cost and size.
And some snails, crabs, starfish, and an anenome if possible.

Thanks in advance, im very excited to get started.

For a FOWLR tank you`ll be OK with that lighting. The LR or fish dont need any special lighting. The purpose for the LR is to house the nitrifying bacteria that keeps the nitrogen cycle going so make sure you get plenty of it. Read our article on cycling the tank before you put anything in the tank. Welcome to AA and enjoy the adventure. And yes you really dont need the protien skimmer but you`ll need to do weekly or biweekly PWC`s to make up for it.

ok, great i can keep the light.
I believe im going to get some LR tomorrow to begin the cycling process of my tank.
thanks!

Back
Top Bottom