Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-19-2011, 07:32 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Newbie on 65g vertical

Hi everybody. I need your advice please. I am new to saltwater aquariums and I am currently in the process of buying a 65g vertical tank from somebody that is leaving the country. It's a FOWLR tank and I wanna keep it that way for now.

The previous owner said he has had the tank for 5 years now and everything seems to be running in good order and the fish seem happy.

Currently the tank has the following: protein skimmer, 2x power heads, metal halide lamp and very little live rock (will post a pic as soon as the tank Is moved and set up) and about 6 or so fish.

Now this is where I need your help:

1 From reading through the advice columns I have read that people advise to have at least 1 lb LR per gallon. I'm sure this tank is way lower. So is it possible just to add some LR purchased from a local pet store or should I slowly add additional LR till the ratios are ok? And should the LR be cured in a different tank first??

2: the only circulation/filtration currently are from 2 x power heads and a protein skimmer, and no sump. Will I need to add an additional filter for circulation/filtration and let the skimmer skim the top of the water. Or do you guys advise me to add a sump with LR?

Will the increase in circulation cause me to add a heater as there currently isn't anything fitted??

I have noticed very little growth on the LR. Can this be due to insufficient circulation over the rocks and should I add additional powerheads??

Your advice would be greatly appreciated and I'm looking forward to post some pics up soon for you guys.

Nicojr is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com