Newbie ? on Live Rock-Dead Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrouff

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm trying to setup my first aquarium and decided to jump in head first with a marine system. I've purchased a large aquarium (110 gal.) and also a biowheel and a Fluval filter, which I've been told with offer plenty of filtration for the system....but I also wanted to incorporate some live rock for a little more natural bio filtration. I was thinking of using 25% live rock and the other 75% as dead rock or reef bones in my aquascaping because I've been told that all rock will eventually become live rock. What I'm wondering is if I combine dead rock or reef bones with fully cured and seeded live rock would I need to do this in a seperate tank or would I be able to use fully cured live rock in my system with dead rock and expect to end up with a fully funtional live rock system? Would live sand help in the process?

Thanks in advance for any info and suggestions.

Mark

WELCOME TO AA!!!

Please do not cycle your tank with live animals.

I am starting a 125G. I bought 150 Lbs od base rock from marcorocks.com. I plan on adding about 70-100 of cured LR once I get it all in.
You want to shoot for 1.5-2Lbs of rock per gallon to provide proper biofiltration (you could even skip the filter).
Remember, "live" simply means having the nitrifying bacteria on/in it. This is your biofiltration. To answer your question, yes dead will become live.
If you are planning on cycling your tank with cured LR, the cycle may kill off a lot of stuff, due to the toxic levels that will be present in the tank, but other stuff will grow back. I would sugges, cycle your tank with the base (dead) rock. Once your cycle is complete, you can add the cured LR when ever you like.
I truely don't really believe if that sand is "Live" after sitting in a warehouse, shipping, and sitting on the shelf in the LFS.

First off, thanks for the welcoming message, after browsing through the site a little I can see this a great resource.

Thanks also for the info. My question now is that if you need ammonia to begin the cycling process, and all I have in there is dead rock, then how do I get the process started?

piece of raw deli shrimp will kick start it
Welcome to the board looking forward to pictures

I put in 4 raw, unseasoned jumbo shrimp in my 125G. The rotting shrimp will produce ammonia, so would food.

just a heads up though, the shrimp is an excellent way to start, but just beware of a strong smell. it will stink pretty bad. you can do PWC to keep the smell down, but the more you leave it alone and just let it sit, the quicker the cycle will be. and welcome to AA

mrouff said:
First off, thanks for the welcoming message, after browsing through the site a little I can see this a great resource.

Thanks also for the info. My question now is that if you need ammonia to begin the cycling process, and all I have in there is dead rock, then how do I get the process started?

the dead stuff on the dead rock starts to rot with amonia breaking down the decomposing elements.

Back
Top Bottom