Newbie question - cycling SW tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jj49er

Aquarium Advice Regular
So what is the best way to get the tanked cycled? I currently have a bit of live rock n about 80 pounds of live sand total sand 140lbs... I was wondering what is the best way to cycle with fish? N while I have no fish in tank should I turn on light for the LS n LR?

Get a piece of shrimp and throw it in a mesh bag. That will start it fishless. The bacteria will eat on it and multiply. Make sure you top off evaporated water with RO water. You will be cycled once your testing reads 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and you will have nitrates. It may take some time but it's worth it!

nikki_kaiser said:
Get a piece of shrimp and throw it in a mesh bag. That will start it fishless. The bacteria will eat on it and multiply. Make sure you top off evaporated water with RO water. You will be cycled once your testing reads 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and you will have nitrates. It may take some time but it's worth it!

What she said ^^^

Ok so fishless is the way to cycle? Ok does the type of shrimp matter?

Oh n how many shrimp do I need for a100gal tank

Ok thank u both for the info.... Oh where would I get a mesh bag to put the shrimp in?

Oh ok got it, so just dump that in the main tank anywhere? How long do I keep it there

Usually the bacteria will eat it up pretty quickly. I put two in my bag when I cycled my little tank. Leave it in there for sure until your cycle is finished.

Hmmm...and make sure you clip the mesh bag onto something or have a string that goes to the outside of your tank. My best friend somehow would get hers sucked up next to her power head plus it's easier to remove or put more in if you need. It won't smell very good when you take it out either! LOL!

ROFL!!!! Yes, it's a TERRIBLE smell! It's totally worth it though! If you don't believe me, have a look at convicts tank!!! ;)

nikki_kaiser said:
ROFL!!!! Yes, it's a TERRIBLE smell! It's totally worth it though! If you don't believe me, have a look at convicts tank!!! ;)

Thanks Nikki! And yeah the smell!! Whew!! lol.

Well thank u guys for the advice I added two shrimp to the mesh bag this afternoon n dumped it in... leaving the string hanging... Once again thank u both

If you want to cycle with fish, add a couple of Hermit Crabs, a Snail and a small Damsel. Have good Filtration but no Protien Skimmer yet. In 4 to 8 weeks you shoud be cycled. Your Live Rock and Live Sand should help you start cycling.

Oh so a clean up crew will cycle it as well? Trying not to add damsels heard it hard to get em out of tank after u done cycling if u don't plan to keep em

I'm highly against adding fish for your cycle needs, I've done fish in cycles before having acquired all the great knowledge from the great members on this forum.

Don't ad damsels please, there highly aggressive and yes hardy, they will probably make it through the cycle and help the process of course BUT...

Your gonna want to remove them or it one day and it's gonna be a nightmare!! I say stay away from adding fish.

Fish food, a raw shrimp in media bag will work just fine. Also your live rock will have some "die off" which will help as well.

Just my opinion. Take it for what's it worth, 2 cents won't get a good cup of coffee anymore but it will still get ya some sound advice.

The Con

Well thank u convict.... I did take ur advice and added the two raw shrimp yesterday in the mesh bag... So I'm hoping my cycle starts soon... So this time I will be goin the shrimp smelly way lol, like I said I really appreciate ur advice as I'm newbie to salt water n I'm sure I will have many more questions reason I joined the forum to get the much needed advice once again thanks

Back
Top Bottom