Newbie ?'s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Naturolls

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Thanks for the forum. We recently moved into a house that has a huge saltwater aquarium set into a wall. One big problem, I've never had a fish tank in my life! I have been reading a great deal over the last few weeks and frankly I'm overwhelmed. I have decided that I want to maintain a simple tank environment with a few fish and some aquascaping until I can learn more about the hobby. All I really need to know is what type of equipment I need and how to do basic upkeep. I have:

flourescent tube lighting
penquin bio wheel mini (I don't believe this is big enough)
air pump w/2 under substrate air bubblers
"dead" rock substrate pebbles w/some sea shells
a broken heating tube (I think, its plugged in and set at 82 but it is much colder than that)

I believe the rock sub is my biological filter but I may need a mech filter?
I'd like to introduce some plastic aquascape and maybe introduce live rock later. Also, I don't know when/how I should clean this behemoth!

I am providing a few pics to give any repliers a better idea of what I am working with here. I know you all prob get tired of novices like me asking the same old questions but I will conquer this thing. The hobby is very intriguing to me and the way I see it half the battle is over and the war is just beginning. I mean, the beautiful tank is already there and just waiting to be loved.

Thanks in advance to all advice. I really appreciate it!
[/img]

(I have no idea if these images attached--no confirmation)

WELCOME TO AA!!!

Please do not cycle your tank with live animals.

What inhabitants are currently in the tank? If none, unplug the heater and remove it, assuming there is water in the tank....?
Personally, I would remove the "air pump w/2 under substrate air bubblers" otherwise known as UGF.
If you shoot for 1.5-2Lbs of rock per gallon, you can add a nice skimmer and skip the mech filtration. The rock will host the nitrifying bacteria.
The pics didn't work.
If you are starting with no livestock in the tank you will have an easier time. If the past owners left it with livestock and/or water in there, we can work with that just as well.
By the way, I like lots of questions and pics! I was and still am new just like everyone else here!

Yes, pictures would help. Once you get the picture posting figured out, take pics of your equipment (filter, lights, heater etc) as that may be easier than describing it. Also, can you measure the tank so that we can get an idea how many gallons? One person's idea of a big tank can be very different from another person's idea!

My second suggestion, if you haven't already, is to read all the stickies in the SW forums, and maybe pick up a few good SW books. I like the Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Fenner, it's a great resource.

Boy I wish the house I just moved into had a huge fishtank built into the wall! I'm jealous!

Wow! thanks for the replies. And I'm beside myself as to how to post pics. :oops:

Roka:

there are no inhabitants in the tank and it does have H20. No heater? Or is that just for safety's sake? I don't know what the temp should be but I thought it should have a heater :? I've read about cycling the tank but I'm not sure what that really is. I believe it has to do with cleaning? replacing the water?

newfound:

the tank is 6' (long) * 2' (deep) * 2.5' (height). Is it 75 gal, 150gal? We did some quick math and came up with 150 gal but the bio-wheel that came with the tank is throwing me. I tried to look at some pics online to determine but it didn't help. I have been reading up quite a bit online. I found some very good info on about.com written by Stan & Debbie Hauter. The seem to know what they're talking about but like I said it is very overwhelming.

Any help with posting (attaching) pics would be great!~

"Tanks" again!

Here are some great caculators:
http://www.fantasyreef.com/flash/calculator.html
This is the way to add images to your posts http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=25.
Here are a bunch of Articles http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_cat.php?fldAuto=2 I would check out the fishless cycle, Acclimation, Quarantine and How ammonia is converted to nitrate (this one helps to explain how the cycle works).
Ok, let's get you started.
Personally, I like these Finnex Titanium Digital Heaters http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...duct_Code=FI-HMD-300&Category_Code=Finnexheat. I have two, in my 125G (I use two, in the case of one of them failing...but that is just me).
This is a decent Test Kit http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=4452&N=2004+113074. I would suggest this, in order to watch your cycle take place, or see where you are right now.

images (hopefully!)

here goes.....

I'm not really sure how the bio-wheel is supposed to work. It seems to me that the tube should extend into the water, but it does not. Also, I think it is too small for my tank.

Using one of the calculators = 125gal!!!

Attachments

• front_view_774.jpg
    front_view_774.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 28
  • back_side_194.jpg
    back_side_194.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 26
  • peguin_bio_wheel_587.jpg
    peguin_bio_wheel_587.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 27
  • flourescent_lights_315.jpg
    flourescent_lights_315.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 37
  • double_bubble_air_pump_898.jpg
    double_bubble_air_pump_898.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 34
The "boi wheel" is actually called an HOB and you are correct. the intake tube (the long tube) should reach the water. From the ones I have seen, there usually is a tube that fits in and extends down to an intake piece.
Basically how it works. The water, from the tank is sucked up and comes back out behind/above the boi wheel, causing the wheel to spin and allowing the beneficial bacteria to grow (along with nitrAtes).
That lighting system doesn't look like it is designed for SW. Is there anything protecting the bulbs/reflectors for splashing water?
What type of substrate is that?
Those are some great pics and an awesome location!

A 180g is 6' x 2' x2' so ur looking at a tank bigger than 180g if your measurements are
6' x 2' x 2.5'. You are going to need a lot of money and a good deal of time if you wanna get that bad boy ready for SW. There are a lot of good books and websites with the most current technologies and the easiest and cheapest ways to do things, but with that amount of water there is no cheap way.

It`s not a 125. The way I get it is 72 inches long by 30 inches wide by 24 inches tall. Is this right? I keep getting almost a 225 gallon tank.

Naturolls said:
the tank is 6' (long) * 2' (deep) * 2.5' (height).
That's 72" long x 24" wide x 29" tall which equals about 216gal according to the calculator at fantasyreef.

So to setup a basic SW tank is going to require about 300lbs. of rock for filtration... more would be better considering the gravel substrate.
If you were to buy all live rock it would end up costing a minimum of around $1000 from a discount seller on ebay with free shipping.
You could get off a little cheaper by using half dry base rock and half live rock.
The live rock will eventually culture the base rock turning it into "live" rock also.
If you live someplace like Florida you can find some wonderful pieces of coral bedrock (base rock) for free at local construction sites.

I would really consider removing the gravel and replacing it with about 3"-5" of marine or reef sand (aragonite, not silica).
The gravel will collect lots of crap that will rot and create water pollution, and will have to be vacuumed regularly... not fun.
The sand will also act as a natural filter in addition to the live rock making your tank more self-sufficient and stable.
As a bonus, having sand will not only allow you to keep a wider variety of fish and inverts, but it also looks prettier IMO. :wink:

I think the main thing is not to get overwhelmed and just take it very slow at this point.
Start scouting out good deals on live rock and base rock at your local fish stores, ebay, and in your classifieds.
Go little bit by little bit and you will have one beautiful and fascinating aquarium in time.

I'm soooooo jealous! :multi:

I`m reading 2 1/2 feet which is 30 inches for the height unless I`m reading wrong.

melosu58 said:
I`m reading 2 1/2 feet which is 30 inches for the height unless I`m reading wrong.
I'm sorry, you're right. I see now that it's two and a half feet, which makes about 225gal. like you said.
I'm an old carpenter so when I saw that I immediately read it as 2'-5" instead of 2.5', my bad. :oops:

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
Congrats on the new house and the tank! A SW tank can be one of the most rewarding things to create and become a great conversation piece for guests. That said, they do require a fair amount of work, especially in the beginning, so researching beforehand is a great step. If you are brand new to home aquariums a nice option is to find a knowledgable and reputable LFS to help you with the initial set-up, livestock selection and beginning maintanance. Once you become more comfortable you can take the reins.

Wow... I'm jealous!

While folks have hinted around at it, if you want to go saltwater with that tank I hope you didn't spend all your cash on the down payment for the house! If you're looking at doing your biological filtration using live rock, as loyalrogue mentioned, the $1000 he threw out was a bare minimum price if all the planets aligned, the phase of the moon was just right, blah blah blah. If you bought that much rock at a LFS, you'd be looking at $1500-1800 minimum.

I'm not trying to scare you away or anything. That'd be one cool saltwater tank. It's just that the "stuff" that came with it is pretty worthless. That biowheel... unless the hand holding it is that of a giant... is only rated for about a 20 gallon tank or so! And even if that one heater mounted in the corner IS working, I think a single heater located where it's at is going to have a problem keeping that tank warm no matter what the wattage.

Is the room that tank is located in heated? Looks like it's an unfinished room, and there's no insulation so I'm assuming the heat from the house can get back there. But if not, you should consider keeping that room heated once you get the aquarium going. That's where most of your heat loss is going to go, so if that room stays at 60 degrees or something, you're really going to be giving your tank heaters a workout and will have to be sized accordingly.

If I was you, I'd drain the tank and give it a good cleaning. You have no idea what may have gone into that tank (cleaning solutions, copper medications, etc) and if you're going to make a go of it, you should start from scratch knowing what you're putting in it to start with. With that big of a tank and that much money going into it , I wouldn't risk anything. As you're cleaning it, I'd probably also paint the back and sides of the tank (on the outside!) so you can't see through the tank and into that extra room (storage?). Just a personal preference, but something to think about.

Before you even set foot in a fish store or buy a single bit of equipment, I'd go out and buy "The New Marine Aquarium" by Michael Palleta. Read it cover to cover. After that, pick up Bob Fenner's book "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" and skim through that. Palleta's book is a good intro with tons of good info, and Fenner's book is a bit more detailed and better to read 2nd once you're starting to get the idea.

You'll find tons of conflicting information, but just think things through and decide for yourself what you want to do. Understand why people hold the opinions they do, and be your own judge. Just like any hobby, you'll find as many different ways of doing things, or as many different "right" ways, as you have people.

Have fun, and start reading!

Kurt_Nelson said:
It's just that the "stuff" that came with it is pretty worthless.

I agree. If I was you I would consider LR and a skimmer for all your biological filtration needs. As Kurt said it is going to be rough on the price so to help out I would consider much of it being Base rock which is much cheaper. You can fill in the rest with LR which will seed the dead rock. In time all of it will become live and teeming with nitrifying bacteria. I also agree that the two books that Kurt gave you are excellent reading. Just remember in this hobby that patience is a virtue.

I appreciate all of the responses! I have been away from the site for a few days and have just caught up on the reading. It seems to me that most of you think I am converting this to a SW tank when in fact it was already a SW tank. I just wanted to set the record str8 on that issue if it makes a diff in your opinons.

I reworked the measurements and plugged them into the online calculator and got 125 gal. Like you said either way it is massive.

The room the tank is in is heated and semi-finished. Actually the furnace is in that room! I do have a back drop piece of teflon or something to shield the reverse view.

I will definately get some good books to read per your suggestions as well as seek out the advice from our LFS.

Thanks again to all your posts! It really helps a newbie like me.....

J

Back
Top Bottom