Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-14-2006, 04:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

NEWBIE!!! Set-up Advice

Hi! I am brand new to the SW world. I am interested in setting up a 29 gal fish only tank for 2 false perculas to start out. I have done some researching and purchased a few books. However, I am a bit confused about all the filtration options. I am not really interested in LR, but wil do LS. What are you suggestions for a filtration system?

TIA!
Krissy

Old 05-14-2006, 05:26 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

welcome to AA, and did you, by any chance just make a website for fish? just wondering cuz i saw that name....

anyways,

live rock would be the best way to go, but i dont have it yet in my 55. I've only got some lace rock in there now. I've just got a fluval filter on it, but i havent had any problems yet with anything, and its been almost 6 weeks. that isnt a very long time at all tho, so i'd wait on someone elses advice. Do you have a canister filter or hang on or anything? If you get a canister, i think you can buy LR rubble, and put that in one of the compartments...i think thats what someone told me i oculd do.

Quote:
29 gal fish only tank for 2 false perculas to start out
you do mean after the cycle is finished, correct? even tho clowns are supposed to be a hardy fish, dont make them cycle the tank.

HTH

mike

Old 05-14-2006, 05:35 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
If you do not want to go with rock, I would suggest something along the lines of a fluval cannister or an aquaclear hang on the back.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Mike-
No, I don't have a website. Weird that you've seen that name before

Anyhow, I have purchased the tank but have not purchased any equip yet. I am trying to do everything the right way and not just throw some fish in and hope they live. (BTW, I will not add the clownfish until it is fully cycled----It seems so cruel to cycle with fish when there is an alternative)

Anyone else know about adding LR rubble to fluval canister?
If I decide to go with a canister, will it be necessary to have a powerhead for movement, or HOB powerfilter?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to be armed with all the knowledge I can get.

TIA!
Krissy
Old 05-15-2006, 11:43 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I have a fluvial 304 for my 55G tank and it is really easy to maintain. I'm still new, and haven't had the experience of other filters, was just putting in my thought...

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:50 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

What exactly is involved in your maintenance? How often do you change your filters? How often do you do PWCs? Do you have a skimmer and/or PH?

TIA
Krissy
Old 05-15-2006, 12:13 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

I do maint on the filter once a month. I turn off the filter, lift the latch and switch out the carbon, and clean the sponges in the old SW, replace reattach and restart. I do PWC at that time and any other time within the month if water quality falls. I don't have a skimmer, I've seen posts that say you don't need a skimmer for FOWLR tanks (although there are some that use them, I am kind of space limited for a skimmer). I do have 1 PH Aqua Clear 30, I think.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 05-15-2006, 12:34 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

What do you have in your tank? and how much Lr do you have?

Krissy
Old 05-15-2006, 01:11 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
What do you have in your tank? and how much Lr do you have?
It's under "my info" button.....

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott

Tags
set-up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com