NEWBIE!!! Set-up Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krissy8364

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! I am brand new to the SW world. I am interested in setting up a 29 gal fish only tank for 2 false perculas to start out. I have done some researching and purchased a few books. However, I am a bit confused about all the filtration options. I am not really interested in LR, but wil do LS. What are you suggestions for a filtration system?

TIA!
Krissy :D

welcome to AA, and did you, by any chance just make a website for fish? just wondering cuz i saw that name....

anyways,

live rock would be the best way to go, but i dont have it yet in my 55. I've only got some lace rock in there now. I've just got a fluval filter on it, but i havent had any problems yet with anything, and its been almost 6 weeks. that isnt a very long time at all tho, so i'd wait on someone elses advice. Do you have a canister filter or hang on or anything? If you get a canister, i think you can buy LR rubble, and put that in one of the compartments...i think thats what someone told me i oculd do.

29 gal fish only tank for 2 false perculas to start out
you do mean after the cycle is finished, correct? even tho clowns are supposed to be a hardy fish, dont make them cycle the tank.

HTH

mike

If you do not want to go with rock, I would suggest something along the lines of a fluval cannister or an aquaclear hang on the back.

Mike-
No, I don't have a website. Weird that you've seen that name before :D

Anyhow, I have purchased the tank but have not purchased any equip yet. I am trying to do everything the right way and not just throw some fish in and hope they live. (BTW, I will not add the clownfish until it is fully cycled----It seems so cruel to cycle with fish when there is an alternative)

Anyone else know about adding LR rubble to fluval canister?
If I decide to go with a canister, will it be necessary to have a powerhead for movement, or HOB powerfilter?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to be armed with all the knowledge I can get.

TIA!
Krissy

I have a fluvial 304 for my 55G tank and it is really easy to maintain. I'm still new, and haven't had the experience of other filters, was just putting in my thought...

What exactly is involved in your maintenance? How often do you change your filters? How often do you do PWCs? Do you have a skimmer and/or PH?

TIA
Krissy

I do maint on the filter once a month. I turn off the filter, lift the latch and switch out the carbon, and clean the sponges in the old SW, replace reattach and restart. I do PWC at that time and any other time within the month if water quality falls. I don't have a skimmer, I've seen posts that say you don't need a skimmer for FOWLR tanks (although there are some that use them, I am kind of space limited for a skimmer). I do have 1 PH Aqua Clear 30, I think.

Back
Top Bottom