Newbie to FOWLR with a live rock question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duke105077

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm planning on switching from cichlids to a FOWLR tank. Im gonna have a lot of lace rock available. My question is, with the very expensive live rock out there, can I use my lace rock as dry rock and put in some live rock to seed it? If so, how much live rock would I need for a 90 gallon to seed 60 lbs of lace rock? Also, how long would it take to effectively seed 60 lbs.? Thanks in advance coming from a newbie!

I wouldnt use old rock. I would just buy new base rock and then seed with like 10 pounds. Good Luck!!!!

I agree with Crister. I wouldn't use old rock. Go with cheaper base rock and seed with a small amount of live rock. It will eventually seed the base rock and sand. Depending on how much live rock/sand will affect your seeding time.

Can you buy dry rock for less than 2.00 per lbs? If so where? I see Key Largo dry rock for 2.32 per lb at Marco's site but don't find anything cheaper. I recently acquired a 175 gallon tank from a business for free and want to put dry rock and sand in it but don't want to spend 500.00. Is there a cheaper option I'm missing? I am in in hurry so live rock and sand is not necessary. Brand new to the site!

Hi Jeung, and welcome to AA.

Personally, I haven't been able to find dry rock at that price. Your best bet for cheap rock is probably Craigslist. However, if you do go that route, be careful of what may come along with the rock.

As for sand you can always go with play sand or pool filter sand. I've had absolutely no luck finding white PFS; though it seems most prefer it to the play sand. Maybe you'll have better luck in your area.

I found dry rock on liverockusa.com for 1.00 per lb. I wonder how the pieces look? Has anyone ordered from this company?

Back
Top Bottom