Newbie to the saltwater world

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nickstanley995

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys I just have a few questions I was hoping could be answered as I am new to the whole saltwater tank world and wanted tk gjve it a go. I have a 33g tank that I want to turn into a fowlr tank. Ive been doing recearch for about two to three weeks now and a few things I have seen have contradicted each other. First question is if I have live rock and a protein skimmer, do I need a filter? I have seen that I do and that I dont. Another question is, can I use dechlorinated tap water for my water instead of R/O water? Lastly, since im only going fowlr do I need a certain light bul or will any do? Thanks a lot!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

as long as you have a bulb thats fish safe you'll be ok. get R/O water. dont risk it with tap or dechlorinated water. ive seen and heard when the water treatments dont work will really spike your levels. as for filters it all depends on what your doing with fish. i have a filter. if you dont get one you'll be doing more water changes. if you do get one it will be less mess to clean up in your tank.

Okay, ill start checking my lfs if they have R/O water for sale. And not exactly sure what type of fish I want yet. For a filter I have either a fluval 206 kicking around or a hob filter sized for a 55g. Which woukd work better, or be more practical? And if I had a filter would I need a protein skimmer as well?

a filter and protein skimmer work hand in hand. the skimmer gets rid of access waste and food and the filter keeps the water clear and clean. i have the fluval fx5 in my 55 and it works amazing. i would say choose what youd prefer. sumps are always the best way to go though

So new plan! I got a 55g from a friend who was upgrading to a 180g. So I am going to be using that instead of a 30g. So im off to home depot tomorrow to get wood to make a stand for the new tank. After that ill be getting all the needed stuff to get this tank cycling. Just one question, will two 525 gph powerheads be good for a flow in the tank?

For a FOWLR I'd use a HOB filter just because it will give you more options when it comes to what you want to add Carbon, copper, phos. pads can be placed in a HOB in seconds You can use treated water but after a while the minerals will build up in the system causing problems long term. (RO/DI is your friend)

Most of your bio filtration will come from your live rock A skimmer aids in the removal of proteins that cause algae growth while adding oxygen to the water. you'll want one.
As for lights any light will work. If it were me i'd buy good LEDs now ones that can support SPS coral.
I'll bet most every one here started with a FOWLR. Then spent even more money upgrading there lights :facepalm: One thing in this hobby buy the best you can the first time out Upgrades cost to much!
Flow looks a little low maybe two 850's you want to keep any junk floating so the filter remove it. Oh. and drill that 55 you'll thank me later :popcorn:

You wouldnt drill it if you were using a hangon filter. BUT BUT BUT if you are building a stand I say drill the tank and add a sump. You can use an old 10g or 20g tank underneath as the sump. :)

Wpuld it in the long run be easier to run a sump. I have an empty ten and an empty 30g tank. If so which would be best to use? Would 30g be overkill for a 55g?

Never overkill with a sump. :)

I would use the 30g and yes, in the long run you would want a drilled tank with sump. Can't do it with fish and water in the tank so best to do it before you set up.

The extra water in the sump will also help keep the system stable. The more water volume you have the easier the system is to maintain. If something goes out of whack having that extra water makes a big difference. Swings in parameters are more noticeable with a smaller tank and the larger you go the less of an impact something will have on the water condition. Hope that made sense lol

I woild want to do a sump if id make it easier only one problem lol. My stand, I didnt build my stand thinking id have a sump. I have two supports in the middle. You guys got me excited I completly forgot about that lol

Thats what my stand looks like. So I dont think a sump would fit in there

Attachments

• 1407781824623.jpg
    1407781824623.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 78
So I just made my biggest purchase towards this tank :/. I bought a skimmer and lights for 600 $ :S lol bit scared

I got an aqua c remora pro-s and reefbrite leds. They are suppose to come in end of this week beginning of next at the latest. My buddy sent me to this lfs I have never been to before and I was very impressed definitely going back

I absolutely love my remora, i have bought a second one cause I loved it so much. lol
And the lights, good call.....
Keep us updated and make sure you take some photos when you start getting it together!

Will do! Now just need to find a good place to buy good lr and or base rock thatll ship to canada. Lfs here charge 10-12 $ a lbs for lr and 4-6 $ for base rock :/

Back
Top Bottom