Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-31-2006, 02:39 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

That is nutri sea water invest in a refracometer I used it for a bit and found that it was high in spg like 1.030 or some such off the wall number . This is the refracometer we use it is an indisposeable tool and one of the first things a new reefer should invest in .. LINK

Quote:
...i also have a Penguim Sadielynn, but its the 200 model because i have a smaller tank...
bet not mine is on a 10 gallon LOL

Old 10-31-2006, 02:47 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I'll tell you from my experience. I had a CC/Sand substrate....what a pain to keep clean. Like mel said, the sand ends up under the CC. CC will also limit your clean up crew and sand sifting critters.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 03:17 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well thanks for the awsome advice guys, i did buy that skimmer( it had some great reviews) so i am going to give it a try. Also i wanted to know if i should get just Regular White Sand or Aragonite Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand. what would you guys recommend ?? I can't wait to get the rest of my supplies so i can get this cycling going and hopefully by Christmans i can have a Percula pair in there !!!!

Thanks again guys
Leo

PS. i was going over some fishes today, and my wish list would be:
Percula pair (2)
Watchman Goby with a shrimp buddy
Firefish(1)
and a small clean up crew, about 5-8 snails and about 2 hermits..

Is this too much for 29gal ??
Old 11-01-2006, 08:39 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like a reasonable stocking list with the exception of the fire fish and watchman goby as they are shaped the same and there may be some problems there . If you go with the fire fish be sure to use a top , such as egg crate (light diffuser pannel can be found at any home improvement store , Lowes, Home depot for around 15 buck)This keeps the top open allowes for gas exchanges but keeps jumping fish in such as the fire fish , tho all fish can / will jump if spooked. Also one final note that you probably already know but just a friendly reminder add your fish sloooooowly add 1 wait a week do a water change allow the bioligical bacteria to catch up . Also watch your clowns when you get them I had one bully 2 others to their death I did finally get to pair him/her with one , and get a clown that is substantially smaller than the established one . This will also help in pairing em up
10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 10:09 AM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Sand will be your preference. I like color, others like the beautiful white, clean sand. Whatever you choose, make sure it is aragonite sand and not silica based. Silica based can be used, but it is more like tiny glass shards....

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 11-01-2006, 11:35 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Sadielynn, i was reading about the Firefish, and i think i may pass on it, even though my tank will be covered, it says that its slow/passive fish and easily bullied. So i'll leave it out for now...i think i will got with a mix of just straight White aragonite sand and 10lbs of aragonite Live sand. i see lots of websites posted here where they sell fish, is it recommended to buy Fish online ? or if i can get it at my lfs, i should do it that way?

Thanks
Leo
Old 11-01-2006, 11:55 AM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

I wouldn't worry too much about the live sand, if you are looking to save money. Buying fish online is great, for the selection and price. I have not bought any fish online, yet, I like to see the fish, in person. I have bought snails, online, and have no complaints. I my LFS will order anything, if I ask. Once I get my new tank and QT set up I will buy online. If you can get fish at your LFS, you can put down a deposit and visit a few time to make sure the fish is healthy. Most reputable online stores, should have an "arrive alive" and 15 day guarantee.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 11-01-2006, 11:59 AM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Welcome to the "family"!!

How are you going to cycle and when are you gonna start?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 12:02 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

psst...austinsdad:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaNewbie
Regarding Fish, i don't care for that right now, i want to make sure the Tank cycles good first.
Are you being lazy again? LOL!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 11-01-2006, 12:11 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Probably. I RESEMBLE THAT REMARK!!!

I did read again thru the posts and didn't see anything about when they are starting or how they plan too. Either lazy or just can't read too well.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com