Next good fish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scubasteve

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tank decided to unexpectedly cycle, partially my fault for thinking it had cycled before but I transferred the two clowns i had to another tank to save them.

What would be a good next fish to get for the tank. The tank currently has 2 damsels and the 2 clown(as soon as i add them back in), I like the angel fish and tangs. Any one have any real colorfish that would do good? :p

Once the tank has cycled and the fish in your QT have been transered you will still need to allow time for the ncecessary bacteria to catch up to the new bioload. Make sure you give the tank 2-3 weeks before adding any more fish or you may end up back a spuare one :wink: Also only make sure it's one at a time properly QT'd.

For a 72g tank though you have quite a few options. The types of fish would be easier to recommend knowing more about the eventual "goal" of the tank itself. Are you planning an FOWLR or reef?

Anything you've seen that strikes your fancy?

Cheers
Steve

is it bad that i have the two clowns in the 15 gallon QT tank??, i moved them only to keep them from going into toxic shock. I'm planning on doing a fish only tank right now, because im a poor college student, but maybe later(2 years) i will expand to live rock or reef.

The two clownes should be fine in the QT while the main tank cycles properly. Just be mindful of possible ammonia and nitrites. Always keep some prepared saltwater at hand at the proper ph, temp and well aerated in case. :wink:

For an FO tank you're only real concerns will be max fish size and aggression. I think the easiest way about this would be to post a "wishlist" of sorts and then it can be paired down based on the previously mentioned.

>>Here<< is a good place to start as it has some decent info about different fish species.

Cheers
Steve

ok i made a quick list,

(1) Blue Tang, (I wanted a powder tang but after reading the profile on here, A)my tank is undersized and B) it says not for beginners)

(2) Fridmani Pseudochromis

(1) Flame Angelfish OR (1) Koran Angelfish

(3) Green Chromis

I'll stop there im not sure if i already have too many fish for my aquarium.

Can someone let me know how this is or offer any other fish that would be good. I wanna get realy colorful fish.

scubasteve said:
(1) Blue Tang, (I wanted a powder tang but after reading the profile on here, A)my tank is undersized and B) it says not for beginners)
I would not suggest either type of "blue" tang for a newer set up. Both the powder blue (Acanthurus leucosternon) and the pacific blue (Paracanthurus hepatus) are very sensitive fish and prone to many ailments. I am not saying you shouldn't get these fish, but I would definately wait until the tank is at least a year old and the tank is stable. A much hardier (if that's possible) tang would be one from the Zebrasoma sp.

(2) Fridmani Pseudochromis
Excellent fish (y) great color as well as being the least aggressive of the species.

(1) Flame Angelfish OR (1) Koran Angelfish
So long as the tank stays FO or FOWLR either would be fine. Just keep in mind both will nip/eat corals and should not be housed in a reef tank. With the prospect of a tang, you should opt for the dwarf IME. Two large fish would cause cramping and I would not recommend both. If you are set on the koran, then skip the tang and vise versa if you want the tang.

(3) Green Chromis
This can be a nice fish when housed in large enough number as they will actuall "shoal" and look quite spectacular. If less than 6 or so they will sometimes end up squabling amongst themselves and do not always do well. Try to get these guys when they are 1" or less and in numbers 3 or more. Keep in mind, the more you get, the less room available for other fish. If you do get the chromis, they could easily use up the last of your stocking room They may also end up fighting with the 2 damsels, but the clownes should be fine.

I'll stop there im not sure if i already have too many fish for my aquarium.
Give the 2 clownes and the damsels you already have, I think you could get away with one large fish and one other smaller fish or possibley a small school of chromis.

Cheers
Steve

wow, haha that was a pretty in depth response,
i appreciate it.
do you work with aquariums every day or do you just have alot of experience with ur own?

scubasteve said:
do you work with aquariums every day or do you just have alot of experience with ur own?

Let's just call it a "passion" and leave it at that... LOL

Cheers
Steve

I have never heard of the Fridmani psedo until I was at the live aquaria web site. I am enamored with it and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them They are TR at live aquaria. :D

I have had great luck with the fridmani (Orchid dotty back). I have even cycled tanks in with tank raised orchids that at a later point spawned on many occasions. The tank raised ones take off eating immediatly, are hardy, and have decent manners for a dotty back!

i wouldn't add the chromis and an angel fish into the same tank- just a suggestion.

You might want to watch on the green chromis. I had one and it bullied all the other fish. Its suppose to be a peacefull fish, but mine was mean and aggressive towards all fish large and small.

Back
Top Bottom