Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-19-2010, 05:38 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Don't use a live fish to cycle your tank. It's cruel and unnecessary. I don't have much faith in bottled bacteria, you just don't know how long it's been on the shelf. Get a raw cocktail shrimp and put that in and monitor your ammonia and nitrite readings. Check this site on how to cycle a tank.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:53 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I did not read that word for word but what I got out of it was do what I did (add existing live rock from another tank, bacteria, and a hardy fish soon there after) and that the worst thing you can do is add a raw shrimp that could cause a "Saprolegnia infection to get started in your new aquarium."

Old 03-19-2010, 10:34 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

I haven't heard of anyone getting that yet in my 6 years. That damsel will even cause problems later for new fish as they're mean.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:00 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know I'm new to this but this is what I see in the link.

"There are other methods of fishless cycling being recommended or used however one method being pushed on the internet is the use of Raw Shrimp; however this is a recycled idea (which included the use of silversides, frozen shrimp, and even dead feeder fish) and has reappeared on the internet even though it was debunked in the early 1990s.

I do not recommend this method, not because it does not work for cycling, but because it may also allow a Saprolegnia infection to get started in your new aquarium. Saprolegnia is a mold (often called a fungus) that easily gets a foot hold in decaying nitrogenous matter such as raw shrimp and I have seen this many times in my experiments. Even after the source of Saprolegnia growth is removed, the secondary zoospores which are the primary mode of pathogenic transmission can remain, even after large water changes/vacuumings.
A new tank is the worst time to have a Saprolegnia infection get started as this is when fish are often much less resistant to disease due to the stressor of a new tank environment."

However

"My preferred cycling method is to transfer filter media (sponges work well as Autotrophic nitrifying bacteria tend to cling to sponge media in high quantities and sponge media is easily transferred), although floss, ceramic media, volcanic rock, etc.are also fine from an established aquarium and possibly along with some gravel, then introduce the fish SLOWLY after 3-7 days."

"For marine tanks the use of seasoned or “cured” live rock serve this purpose quite well. I recommend this method even more with Marine tanks using seasoned (cured) live rock and/or live sand as well as filter media. In Marine tanks I still prefer to added aged media (not essential, but still better) along with 1-2 lbs (2.2 -4.4 kg) CURED live rock per gallon (approx. 4 liters)."
Old 03-19-2010, 11:42 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

however 1-2 lbs is not 2.2 - 4.4 kgs... just a tad backwards
Old 03-20-2010, 05:28 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

When was this written and who wrote it? Volcanic Rock!!! Now there's a smart idea for adding toxic metals to you tank!!!

Tags
setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com