Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-17-2010, 01:34 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Next step in setup?

I am setting up another small tank. A 20 gallon fowlr. I got the water in today and will have a heater in tomorrow. I read somewhere that live sand is not need and that I can use something else. what? After that I will add the live rock. Can I buy roc that is not "live" and put it in my other tank for a while until it is live and then move it to the new tank? Or should I buy some live rock and some thats not and put them together in the new tank? How long does it take for rock that is not live to become live?

Old 03-17-2010, 01:51 AM   #2
Sliced Bread

It's not that live sand isn't needed, it's just that the stuff you buy on the shelves claiming to be Live really isn't because - well it's been sitting on a shelf. You can use the same type of sand, just buy it dry and it'll get seeded and become live on it's own. Personally I use the dry Aragamax sugar oolite. It's a whole lot cheaper than "live" sand from the shelf, and works the same in the long run.

You can buy non-live rock (aka base rock) and seed it just as you said. A better way would be to take 1 rock from your existing system and place it into the new, rather than going the other route. You need several weeks to really seed a rock, so that'll slow down your progress if you do it as you mentioned.

If you do buy base rock, you'll want to cure it first IF you're going to put it in your established tank (unless you're just going to do a small piece, you'll probably be okay without curing it). If it's going straight into the new, uncycled tank, just rinse it off really well before putting it in there.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:12 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for the help man
Old 03-17-2010, 03:37 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Can I use a heater for a 75 gallon tank in this 20 gallon tank. I don't see why not just not 100% sure.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:10 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinds04 View Post
Can I use a heater for a 75 gallon tank in this 20 gallon tank. I don't see why not just not 100% sure.
You should be OK provided you can keep the temp where it needs to be and not too high.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:02 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

How much rock from your existing system can you put in the 20g? I'm guessing maybe 15lbs could be enuf to skip the cycle and add fish right away. Slowly.

Otherwise, just go with all new base rock and cycle with the skrimp - having trouble pronouncing shrimp sometimes

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:27 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm assuming that your other tank is saltwater?
Old 03-19-2010, 01:04 AM   #8
Sliced Bread

Back to the heater question...

I don't recommend it. Heaters fail. It happens. Every heater of mine that has ever failed has failed so that the heater is stuck on. If you have a way oversized heater that does that, it will cook your tank. You should get an appropriately sized heater.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:34 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes it is a saltwater... I bought the 75 gallon heater because I am moving to a 75 gallon in about 6 months and I didn't wat to buy a 20 now and then a 75 then.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:35 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I put 15 pounds of base rock and 5 pounds of live rock in the tank. I put a bottle of bacteria in today and am going to put a damsel in tomorrow. Sound ok?

Tags
setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com