Nicks 55g FOWLR Project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nick,

Just do a search in the DIY section for SUMP. You'll find loads of threads. Also checkout the Melvsreef site.. lots of info on Sumps:

Melevsreef.com | Acrylic Sumps & Refugiums

If you can, go with a 20G sump or you'll probably end up upgrading down the line (like I did). You want to make it as big as possible. As long as you can fit it under your stand of course.

I started with a 10G sump with my HOB skimmer, some LR Rubble overflow in, and my return pump. I recently upgraded to a 20G(long). Now, I've got approx 30% of the tank for the overflow, return pump, and heater. In the remaining 70% I made my refugium (10lbs of sand, LR rubble, clump of Cheato Algae and my HOB skimmer). Because I use the HOB Skimmer, I get virtually no micro bubbles, so I did not need to add a bubble-trap. I just took the 20L down to my local glass shop and had 1 sheet of glass cut to divide the tank. I split my return line and slowly add water to my refugium area and it overflows back into the 30% section.

Works for me!

EDIT - Oh yeah.. Check out the ESHOPPS overflows if your not gonna drill. I bought this one and it's working great. As Ziggy mentioned, he's been using them for YEARS with no issues

https://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/237622/product.web

Great site on sumps! Thanks! Still trying to learn how they work etc

I beleive all i can fit is a 10g right now, but being i will have to tear her down in less then a year, ill prob upgrade when i rebuild.

there are som other good sites on sumps.. I'd have to search for them though..
With a 10Gal you prob wont have the space for a fuge.. Maybe you could throw some Cheato down there in one of the sections.. But with a 10Gal your really gonna be limited on your sections..

Yeah thats what im seeing too.. luckily the bubble catch is only roughly 3" wide with all the sections, so if i can get the right sized skimmer, or even a HOB skimmer (id rather not), and a small (but enough gph) pump and return chamber, i may be able to do something with a 10gal and it fit.... ill have to see. i can get a 10gal at the lfs for like 10 bucks. Otherwise i may find a 15 or 20 on craigslist or something and see if it fits. I want to do it right, but i may not have the room in my current cabinet..

Heres some pics by the way. These were taken buy the seller (my friend), before i got the tank and stuff aquired, to give you an idea of what im working with.

I may keep the magnum system and run it clear/empty, in the return line of the sump, so i have a place for media if needed. and now that im thinking about it, it may be enough to be the sump return pump, which can minimize on the size and shape of the return chamber because i wont have to submerge the pump in the chamber.

Edit:

My target GPH was 500-600, though. The Magnum i have only does 350... er. suggestions?

I have an old eheim pump from an old water cooled computer setup i have laying around and i think im going to build a system/plumbing that will pump the water out of my sump and out the window for waste, when i do water changes and then to suck up the SW from my new mixed SW batch, back into the sump, giving me an easier and faster WC.

Ok, its been a while since ive updated this thread, so here goes.

I decided to go full mixed reef on my 55 gal setup. I bought a TEK 4x 54w T5 setup. Blue+,6500K, 75/25, Aquablue. It looks great! Got the 4" argonite sandbed down and overflow in place. Im still hunting power heads though. Bought 2 Korilia 1's froma friend, but they are too weak for a 55. Looking for some tunzes at a good $.

I am buying a premade used sump from a local friend that is 75 gal. I know it sounds huge, and it is!, but my plans are to have a very big refugium and other 'chambers' of fun..

I decided that the stand on the DT was limiting me with the sump i originally designed in my mind to accomidate my needs, so i went with putting the sump in the next room from the DT and run the tubes through the wall. Easy enough. I will end up putting the sump on cylinder blocks and such if i cant find a low coffee table that will hold its size.

I bought a coralife skimmer with a mag 5 on it, but i may want to upgrade that now that im adding alot more water to the system then i orig planed.

I have a mag 7 i orig bought for the main return, but what i really want to have is 3/4" tubing and the mag 7 only has 1/2". I may go up to a mag 9.5, run 3/4" and implement my 2 SCWD's (3/4") and have 4 incoming returns spread out in the DT. This will give me alot of flow and good balance with distributing heat into my DT. My overflow is big, and im assuming around 900-1200gph, so mixed with the 75gal sump,. i should be able to move alot of water. Ill prob have the sump slow down in the fuge and skimmer for best exporting.

Im not going to setup a reactor because the worries with the co2 tank, so ill just dose until i feel the need to setup a kalkwasser. I have a Reefkeeper Elite v2 and i plan on hooking it up to alot of functions like ATO and dosers, etc. I ordered the RKE-NET module earlier this week. I cant wait to play with that!

Still trying to locate some decent live rock here locally.. PITA!

I should be posting up some pics with water here in about 2 weeks or so. Until then, heres some of the lighting.

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

So thats where im at right now, post any questions or comments! Thanks

Back
Top Bottom