Niger Trigger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hottievols

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, question for you. I have finally got my aquarium to where i can add livestock. I have 60 gallon tank with 45 lbs live rock. I have put 2- ocellarius clownfish and 1- blande naso tang in the tank already and they are doing great. I saw a niger trigger at the LFS and loved it the owner said that with what I have in the tank already it would probably be ok. But you guys have gotten me through the start up so I want your opinon.Whatcha think?

triggers = aggressive
tangs and false perc clowns = not aggressive

I personally would not add the trigger, but maybe somebody with a bit more experience can chime in.

Nigers are often thought to be the least aggressive of the Trigger species. Depending on the size in relation to your other fish you MAY be ok. I have successfully kept one with a yellow tang and a maroon stripe clown before with no issues. Tangs can actually be quite dominate and hold their own. As I have said in many posts now, not all fish act the same, and no rule regarding compatibility is concrete. If you decide to add it I would just ask the store if there is a compatibility issue if you can return the fish for credit towards something else. Any decent store should tell you yes, and if not you prob don't want to buy it there anyway.

JMHO

If you decide to add it I would just ask the store if there is a compatibility issue if you can return the fish for credit towards something else. Any decent store should tell you yes, and if not you prob don't want to buy it there anyway.
Good Idea
The false perculas are one of the most timid anenome fish, so they wont take to well if the trigger does press territorial issues.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that tang needs a tank over twice the size you have and the niger might not be too happy in that sized tank either....
The Naso will get about a foot and a half....

I had a Niger trigger in my tank with a yellow tang and clowns it was no problem. I also had corals and he did not bother those either. But they do get quite large.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that tang needs a tank over twice the size you have and the niger might not be too happy in that sized tank either....
The Naso will get about a foot and a half....

I totally agree.

had the niger trigger in my 135g with my naso and 2 clowns after about 2 wks of keeping the trigger in my tank he turned real aggressive to my clowns bitting there fins, ended up returning him to my lfs.

Personally i would stay away from him especialy with that size of tank.

Back
Top Bottom