Niger Trigger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlid-dude

Aquarium Advice Addict
Do niger triggers grow slowly? I bought one about 5 months ago and hes only grown maybe a quarter inch. Hes in my 180 fowlr.

I've had one for about 2 months in a 125 and he is noticeably bigger is he getting his share of the food?

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oh yea he eats like a pig. I feed him silversides and clams and mysis shrimp. He also likes to eat seaweed sheets.

Normally, from what I've seen/heard/experienced yes they do grow fast. However, if not in the correct environment (too small of a tank) their growth may be stunted causing the fish issues.

Well he is in a 180 gallon tank so i dont think tank size is the issue.

I was just researching Niger Triggers, pretty quick growth rate, but not as fast as a panther grouper.. Your 180 should be enough for a while.. I just picked up one that was about 5".. Had him for less then 12 hours before he was eaten.. Kinda bummed.. Beautiful fish, I like how the colors change and the red mouth..

Maybe im just not noticing his growth because i see him all the time. My wife hardly looks at the tank and she said he has grown quite a bit lol.

I think you are not noticing. If he is eating like a pig, and swimming around happy looking I say he is fine and healthy!

Back
Top Bottom