Niger trigger compatability

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tfain

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm thinking about getting a Niger trigger and I was wondering what fish are comparable with it. I have a 30 gallon and I know that's to small but it has a fuzzy dwarf lion, a 3 striped damsel, a yellow tail blue damsel, and a green chromis and I have a 150 gallon with a banded cat shark. I was also looking into getting a yellow tang

A nier trigger wouldn't be a good pick for the 30G due to its aggressive nature and not to mention it will grow around 3 inches in 6 months, and will def eat your damsels and possibly nip your lion. Try a 6 line wrasse or a melanarus wrasse in that tank if you want some color and movement. You also could put it in your 150 it will be fine in there with the shark, and you can buy a large sized niger in most LFS for around 45 to 50 which is very reasonable.

Well I don't mind buying him small seeing that my sharks not that big right now either. He's only 6inches right now and I only said that about the 30 gallon to see if he was comparable with those fish. I read they need atleast a 75 gallon tank so I was already planing on putting him in the big tank. So don't put him with any lions? What about a yellow tang?

I would put it in the 150g with the shark. You could put the tang in there too, just make sure he's close to the same size as the trigger. Tangs can usually hold their own ground :)

I wouldn't recommend putting it in with the shark. The trigger will most likely nip the fins and even the eyes of the shark since the banded cAts aren't that active during the day it would make a good target for the trigger and also it will make feeding the shark harder since triggers are pigs!

U also want to be careful about what fish u put in with the shark cause alot of the time the sharks are subject to bullying by other fish. If u are looking for good tankmates for it I would say groupers,eels,wrasses and even damsels and clowns can be kept with them.

But I would highly recommend not putting a trigger in with a shark it could wind up bad for both parties.

Ok thanks. Also can you put 2 different types of triggers in the same tank?

U can mix different types of triggers as long as they don't look alike and u have a large enough tank and numerous hiding places for the two of them.

But again as I said in the other post I wouldn't put triggers in with I'd shark. It's up to u but all the books and people I talked to said don't mix the two

Also what about angeles? I really like the emperor angle

Back
Top Bottom