Niger Trigger just sitting and hiding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edmond

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had this Niger Trigger for almost a year now, in a 50 gallon tank with live rock, a clown, a valentini puffer, an singapore angel, and I recently added a purple tang and lawnmower blenny.

A few days ago I noticed that he doesn't swim around anymore and just hides behind the rocks in one spot and barely moves. He is still alive as I can see his mouth and gills moving, but he has been in the same spot for about 3 days now. I don't notice him eating either. I did do a water change at about the same time he started this.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

I don't know whats affecting your Trigger but your tank is overstocked. The addition of a purple tang (which should be in a 6ft long tank) and a lawnmower blenny added to an already bad situation. The Angel also needs a bigger tank than the 50G. Your Niger Trigger also needs a larger tank, one more in the 75G area.
What are your parameters? Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, pH, kH, Calcium, and Phosphate.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :(
Hope we can help your Trigger.

Well I have had all of these fish for about a year and haven't had any problems. All of them are small, about 3" or less. I recently tested the water and all the parameters were safe, the only thing that was higher was Nitrate which was about 10 ppm, is that too high? I don't have tests for calcium or phosphate.

10ppm won't harm anything. You should get test kits for phosphate and calcium.

And despite the small size of the Tang, it still needs the 6' tank. They produce heaps of waste.

Well I have had all of these fish for about a year and haven't had any problems.

This really does not mean anything. As stated above you are way overstocked in your tank. Some of the fish will experience problems because of the small tank. As far as having them for a yr there will come a time for a tank when a tank will crash after building up of excessive nutrients over time. For the time being you`ll need to do frequent PWC`s to get them down.

Back
Top Bottom