Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-04-2013, 08:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Niger trigger tank mates

I have had a niger trigger for about two months now. He has been alone so I was nervous about adding anyone else. I have in and picked up a yellow tang and a chromis. Within ten minutes the chromis had been swallowed. (He was very tiny anyways so I expected it). He nipped at the tang who then started to bully back. The tang has been in for almost a week. They swim together and have not nipped or chased eachother for a while. Eventually, would a clown be okay to add? Currently I have a 30g tank, soon going up to a 55+ gallon. Have not decided yet.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would say he would eat the clown too. When you are thinking of your upgrade, which will have to be sooner rather than later, keep in mind the Niger needs 180g

Old 06-04-2013, 10:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bectan01 View Post
I would say he would eat the clown too. When you are thinking of your upgrade, which will have to be sooner rather than later, keep in mind the Niger needs 180g
Unfortunately, I can't have an aquarium that big in my apartment I don't want to get rid of him, he's so pretty and has a personality. Him and the tang are buddies. But the trigger will actually lunge at the glass to the cats. But I think I'll have to so I can get a clown.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Snowflake eels would be a good option when you do the upgrade.

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
bettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:47 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have found that most places don't care about a 125 gallon tank. It's when you get up there past that they mind. If you could go with that, I would!!
Old 06-07-2013, 12:41 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron1282 View Post
I have found that most places don't care about a 125 gallon tank. It's when you get up there past that they mind. If you could go with that, I would!!
I respectfully disagree. Most apartments will have a rental agreement that states whether you can have anything filled with water (aquarium, waterbed, etc). Most that I have seen and heard of will not allow you to have any size aquarium. Best bet is to check the agreement and then you will know exactly what you can get away with, if anything.

Regarding the Tang and Trigger...that tank is too small. Puppies and kitties are cute too, but they (like certain fish) need lots of room to move around. You (hopefully) would not keep a dog or cat in a little box their whole life, so why do the equivalent to a fish just because its cute?
Old 06-07-2013, 01:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post

I respectfully disagree. Most apartments will have a rental agreement that states whether you can have anything filled with water (aquarium, waterbed, etc). Most that I have seen and heard of will not allow you to have any size aquarium. Best bet is to check the agreement and then you will know exactly what you can get away with, if anything.

Regarding the Tang and Trigger...that tank is too small. Puppies and kitties are cute too, but they (like certain fish) need lots of room to move around. You (hopefully) would not keep a dog or cat in a little box their whole life, so why do the equivalent to a fish just because its cute?
No I do not keep my cats in a small space. The trigger is still pretty small right now. Trust me, I would love a bigger tank, but I can't get anything larger, I asked. They are letting me slide with a 55 gallon but they won't let me fill it up all of the way. Soy turtles are in there. We're hoping to get a larger place soon then which I'll do my upgrade. I knew the tank was too small, but since he is small I think he will be okay until the upgrade.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron1282 View Post
I have asked them, and they will not allow anything bigger with us being on the second floor.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaowner View Post
Snowflake eels would be a good option when you do the upgrade.
What other fish would be good? I'm not an eel person.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:53 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

The tricky thing with adding more fish now is that you have an agressive fish in a small tank and its going to want to go after new additions that can not fend for themselves. Generally, you want to add fish from least agressive to most agressive, so this is kinda going backwards in that regard. Something like a yellow stripe maroon clownfish would work in a smaller tank and is agressive as well. Maybe a spotted Hawkfish or one of the agressive Hawks that are okay in smaller tanks. The Trigger could easily take any of them out in a heartbeat though, so there is risk with even the best options.

The Trigger will have to go eventually, as they get a foot in length, which even if it were alone will not work in a 55g (48"x13"x21").

Tags
niger, tan, tank mates, trigger

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com