nitrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

icedone

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey all,I am having a prob with nitrates,they rose to about 40(using the API and RED SEA test kits)and I cannot get them down.I would like to add a couple corals and a anenome but my trates are too high.Ill state my start setup and the changes I have done.75 gal with 80 lbs live sand and 50 lbs LR,rena xp 3 canister w/2 30 ppm and 2 20 ppm filters(bottom),rena bio stars and ceramic 8 pcs of each(middle)rena bio chem zorb packet and a micron filter(top),sea clone 100 skimmer(not the best but its a skimmer),7 g fudge w/10lbs live sand,10 LR,and some chaeto (pump in gravity out),3 chromas 2 damsels,RO water 1.023 sal..started july 6th and all was well,went thru am spike,nitrite spike followed closly by nitrate spike in early sept.let tank cycle till dec 10th with readings at 0 except nitrates were at 2(friend has a electronic tester),added bicolor blenny,firefish,5 snales,10 blue leg crabs,and 3 peppermint shrimp.let cycle till late jan,same readings.on march 2nd added a scopus tang,2 clowns,2 paj cardinals,readings stayed good till apr 10th and trates were at 5 then increased to 40 over the weeks till mid may.here is what I have done with advice from LFS.8 gal change ro water every week(4 changes),replaced the stars and ceramics in filter with live rock,removed 1 20 and 30ppm filter pad,cut filter flow to half,vaced sand (half late may other half june 20th),added more carbon to filter,added 25 lbs LR.All that and tates did not drop at all,my fish inch total right now is 16 inches,did I move too fast or something,I was also told to carbon the hech out of it...sorry about ramblin but any advice would help greatly and thanks.

Lets see...

(3) chromis
(2) damsels
(1) blenny
(1) firefish
(1) tang
(2) clowns
(2) cardinals

... in a 75g?

I'd say you're overstocked, but I'm normally the conservative one around here! If you're using the xx inch per xx gallon rule, then I think it's customary to figure on the full grown size of the fish. And using those numbers, you've definitely got more than 16 inches in there.

Anywho... sounds like you're doing a lot of the right stuff - getting rid of the stars and ceramics, vacuumed sand, etc. Adding carbon is good, but will not get rid of nitrates. Water changes is about it for getting them down and 8 gallons every week isn't going to make much of a dent. That's only a 10% change weekly, which will bring your 40ppm nitrates just down to around 36ppm after the water change. Your bioload is going to add more nitrates each week, so you're probably back up to 40 again by the end of the week.

I'd try 20% water changes, say every 3-4 days and see if that doesn't make a dent in them. Just make sure your new water is the same temp/salinity as your tank water.

I agree with Kurt, overstocked! Like he stated, high volume water changes until you are where you need to be.

As above, even if you get the nitrates down, It won't stay down for long with that fish load. You will have to make a decision as to what you want. Do you want fish...keep doing 20% pwc weekly. Do Corals...get rid of some of your Fish. Do Fish and Corals...Get rid of some fish....

Last edited:
Nitrates will always accumulate without enough export, which is likely the case. I would go ahead with a 25% water change (gravel vacuum) and wait 2 hrs. before doing another 10% water change. The fish shouldn't react negatively over a 35% water change. I'd repeat the schedule in 48hrs. Personally, I don't think you're even close to being overstocked.

I was told I am close to overstock but not overstocked(according to 3 LFS in my area)but this is in a FOWLR case if I do Reef I would have to remove some stock.I just went and got 12 g of ro water from friends who has a water unit(I cannot remember in what order he said but it has 2 carbon,3 filter,a uv sterilizer,and a ro chamber canisters)and have the water oxegenating right now so will change tomorrow when ready.Someone suggested the kardon water kit that removes nitrates but i dont wanna add any chemicals like that,calcium yes those chemicals no.I might just brake down and resetup my 55g as a FOWLR and use chromas and damsels from my 75 to reduce my load.

Have Any of you heard of someone using or you used yourself the seachem purigen product?It says it will drasticlly lower nitrate levels.

Purigen won't lower nitrate levels once they're elevated. It will help suck out the nasties in your tank before they convert to nitrates, but don't think of it as a nitrate sponge. I've used the stuff for a couple years now and have low nitrates, but it has nothing to do with the Purigen!

Back
Top Bottom