Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-19-2006, 02:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to tshere
Nitrate level way above 100ppm!

8O 8O I checked my nitrate level this morning on my 20 gallon saltwater tank and it was above 100 ppm. I did a 50% water change. How long will it be until I can check the level again and see results from the water change? Is is immediate? Ok, It has been several hours since I did the water change and the level is still about 80. What do I do now?

HELP

Old 09-19-2006, 02:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, the math says that if you start with 100 ppm, and do a 50% water change, you'll be at 50 ppm. This is still mighty high, but to reduce shock to your fish, wait until tomorrow to do another 50% water change, bringing you down to 25 ppm. If you are trying to keep corals, you'll want to do at least one more 50% water change and get below 20 ppm. The level should be reduced as soon as your water is throughly mixed, so just give it an hour for your filters to mix the water before re-testing.

dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 02:58 PM   #3

Thanks. I had a black and white clown to die last week. I also have a anemone that used to be about 4 to 5 inches tall and now it's about the size of a pea. I hope this will help it.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

What kind of lighting do you have for the anemone? They require very intesne lighting to thrive, as well as being very sensitive to water conditions.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:28 PM   #5

Power-Glo high intensity 18,000K 15W

OK OK........I've been reading and have realized that that is not even close to being enough light. What I don't understand is that the anemone was fine for several months. Now it's tiny. The pic is before. I don't have an after right now but it's tiny.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clownfish_013.jpg2_131.jpg (200.6 KB, 72 views)
Old 09-19-2006, 05:31 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

The anemone can get some food from the water, but will decline over time if it doesn't get enough food from light. They will often linger for months before declining, sometimes even budding off babies during the decline, in the hopes that one will survive.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:22 PM   #7

So what would be ideal lighting for my tank? It is a 20 gallon. I also have a feather duster. Do they require such light? I've checked my nitrate level now several hours after the 50% water change. There doesn't seem to be much difference at all. What now??
Old 09-19-2006, 06:27 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Can you confirm your readings with another kit or your LFS? How old is the kit? What kind of filter do you have, ie; bioballs/wheel, sponge?

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 06:38 PM   #9
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Something is causing these high nitrates. pwc`s are your best defense and i mean several and not just one. Then we have to find out where it`s coming from. How often are you feeding?

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 06:55 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

If the first reading you got was above the top color on the chart, it may be significantly higher than that number. Keep up the water changes. Are you using tap water or RO/DI water for your water changes?

Until recently, what has your water change routine been?

How long has the tank been running?

Lighting: You probably want one of the higher end PC/CF light systems. Try to aim for 200 watts, although it's undestandable if that's out of your budget. I think 2x65 is about the best you're going to find in premade fixtures, a 3x65 would be more ideal for the anemone.

The feather duster doesn't need much light. It eats small particles of food floating in the water.

Tags
level, nitrate, nitrate level

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com