Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-09-2012, 10:45 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafanatic

I usually feed a quarter of a frozen cube at each feeding, but the last few times I've been feeding half a cube for reasons I don't even know O_o I switched back to a quarter of a cube at the last feeding because of these nitrate issues, and now that I'm feeding even less it should help considerably. I'll give the sand some vacuuming but I can't do too much to the sand because of the nassarius sails hidden in there. Wouldn't want to crush one or suck one up.

I don't like changing filter pads because of the risk of a mini-cycle, but I do clean them often. I think I have to start cleaning them even more often now. I usually only change pads when they're worn or torn.

By the way, I feed frozen mysis shrimp, frozen brine shrimp, and marine pellets. I switch between them at each feeding. I'm thinking of adding daphnia or something to the menu too.
I have nass snails too, never have i hurt one or sucked one up. So i wouldnt worry mich about that.

Also changing filter pads will not create a mini cycle. You have live rock doing all your biofiltration. Taking out the filter pad will not hurt anything with sufficient live rock like you have. And this is probably a decent source of some of your nitrates.

Switching foods up is great for your stocks nutrition. So feed as many different things as they will eat. No harm there just be sure they are proper size portions.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism View Post
I have nass snails too, never have i hurt one or sucked one up. So i wouldnt worry mich about that.

Also changing filter pads will not create a mini cycle. You have live rock doing all your biofiltration. Taking out the filter pad will not hurt anything with sufficient live rock like you have. And this is probably a decent source of some of your nitrates.

Switching foods up is great for your stocks nutrition. So feed as many different things as they will eat. No harm there just be sure they are proper size portions.
Are you certain about the filter pads? It just makes me very nervous. I've been doing all freshwater before this so usually that's where the bacteria lives.

But if all the live rock is doing the biological filtration, I'll start changing it more often.

Yeah I think I will add daphnia and some other stuff when I save up some more money. It's all gone I'd like to have at least two to three more foods. Thanks for all your help, by the way. I really appreciate it!

Old 08-09-2012, 11:17 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Are you certain about the filter pads? It just makes me very nervous. I've been doing all freshwater before this so usually that's where the bacteria lives.

But if all the live rock is doing the biological filtration, I'll start changing it more often.

Yeah I think I will add daphnia and some other stuff when I save up some more money. It's all gone I'd like to have at least two to three more foods. Thanks for all your help, by the way. I really appreciate it!
Yep im sure, as long as you have enough rock which in a 10g with your stock would be 5-10lbs.

And the reason it matters in freshwater os because its the only surface the bacteria readily grow on. In saltwater live rock does this job.

No problem helping. Any questions just ask.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:26 PM   #14

Okay I'll replace that filter pad. How often do you recommend replacing in a saltwater tank? Every month or bi-weekly? I'll rush to the LFS tomorrow morning.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:50 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

I would clean/rinse it weekly and only replace it every 4 to 8 weeks.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:22 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Okay I'll replace that filter pad. How often do you recommend replacing in a saltwater tank? Every month or bi-weekly? I'll rush to the LFS tomorrow morning.
Ive always replaced mine bi-weekly if im using a powerfilter.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:26 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

If none of the other suggestions work we suggest Prime. We used it with our 8 gallon bio cube. Since it was so small it was harder to keep the nitrates down even with reduced feedings. I'm sure some people are against it. Our LFS uses it as well as the employees in their private tanks at home.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:51 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovefishys
If none of the other suggestions work we suggest Prime. We used it with our 8 gallon bio cube. Since it was so small it was harder to keep the nitrates down even with reduced feedings. I'm sure some people are against it. Our LFS uses it as well as the employees in their private tanks at home.
Prime is a great product but is not a solution to nitrate control.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:10 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

That's why I suggested after he tried everything else
Old 08-10-2012, 01:21 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

What kind of water are you using for water changes? If its tap, I would bet that measures 20 if you tested it.

Tags
nitrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com