Nitrate question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hondatek

Aquarium Advice Addict
On my fowlr tank my trates stay between 5 and 10 with a weekly 25 percent pwc. The tank has been cycled and running with sw for about 2 months. Should I look into a new skimmer even though mine is just broken in? Or should I do more pwc to get them lower?

It's a long shot but have you ever tested their water? I tested mine for ha ha's one day and found nitrates and phosphates in their water!!!

Worth a shot.

I actually haven't checked that but i do prime the whole tank after I take the water out and also prime the containers i use to transport the water

I'm just worried because I use a seaclone lol nobody has anything good to say about them

It's pulling skim but this is my first saltwater tank so I'm not sure how much it should pull. Would removing filter floss from my canister and adding more ceramic rings help any?

I'd keep some filter floss in one of the trays and have the rest be bio media. Thats what I do, if I need to run carbon I just use the floss tray.

How is the skimmate? Is it green, black, gooey, watery, stinky, unbelieveabley stinky.... you get it lol

It's gooey brown inside the center and the foam comes out and then it leaves like black water in the cup. It doesn't smell bad at all almost sweet smell to it

It seems youve got a nice thick skimmate. Thats a good thing. Mine m=smells like death evey time I dump it. Its seriously bad. lol

How often do you have to dump it? You can adjust it to make it goo-ier or more liquidy.

I should add that I'm just finishing the stage when you get brown algae on the sand. Could that be y nitrates between 5 and 10

Oh, I'd def adjust it some. I have to empty mine every other day. What do you all have in the tank again? as far as fish? Maybe you just don't have alot of organics to pull.....

I hate adjusting it lol . I'll try. It's just a 3 to 4 inch porcupine puffer and some edible Cuc

You just might not have enough to pull yet. I'm a notorious over feeder so I know why my skimmer is always full lol. I'm also reading between 5-10 nitrates myself. :)

Ok I'll get more rings Friday and adjust the skimmer. Yea I think I overfeed at times but he just overeats lol he is a rather fat fish

Back
Top Bottom