Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-11-2012, 10:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Nitrates

My nitrates are around 10-15 ppm (hard to tell w/ API test kit). I was wondering if this was acceptable for a FOWLR system. My ammonia and nitrates are both 0 and PH is 8.3. salinity is 1.025 as well. I'm relatively new to this, and it's kind of intimidating! Lol. I was just wondering if there's anything else I'm forgetting to worry about and if at these levels my fish are happy or not. I have a coral beauty and canary blenny. 75 gallon system w 75 lbs live rock, carbon and Gfo.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes that is fine. Anything under 20 is safe, so you should be ok. If you want to get those nitrates down then just do a water change

Old 04-11-2012, 10:43 PM   #3

Thanks, I definitely appreciate it How can I get them to 0 and keep them there? My fish seem happy, and I want to keep them that way lol
Old 04-11-2012, 10:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

To tell you the truth i am suprised that you have 10-15 nitrates when you only have 2 fish in your system. How often do you do water changes?

For example, i had 10 nitrate sonce so i did a 30% water change every week until they went down to 0. Now i only do a 30% every two weeks because the nitrates are staying at 0
Old 04-11-2012, 10:57 PM   #5

I have a fairly new system, only had the fish for 2 weeks. I think some are left over from cycling to be honest... Lol, I suck
Old 04-11-2012, 10:59 PM   #6

30% is what I'll try to aim for. How much do you think 2 fish will impact the nitrates? Like if I don't over feed will they still be up to 30+ after a week or 2?
Old 04-11-2012, 11:07 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

You shouldnt have very many nitrates! I only have 2 fish in a 30 gallon and nitrates are low. Keep up on those water changes and your trates will drop for sure!
Old 04-11-2012, 11:22 PM   #8

Will do! Thanks! I'm sorry to bother you, but one more thing... There's 2 small white dots on my coral beauty on his body. Very small. Also 1 on his fin. Is this definitely ich or am I just paranoid? I just noticed this 2 minutes ago, super...
Old 04-11-2012, 11:28 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

It is probably ich there are a few things you should do. First, you will want other opinions on this, but i think you should wait for it to leave. Someone on a differant forum had an angel that had ich and he made sure to feed his angel mysis sheimp soaked in garlic to build up their immune system and then the ich went away in a few days. As long as your fish are healthy they should be perfectly fine! Pulling them out will be ba because it will stress them out more and make the ich worse. Again, i would get other opinions on this
Old 04-11-2012, 11:41 PM   #10

He seems super healthy.. Ich isn't a big deal and doesn't infect the whole tank? I've just worked so hard on this and I'd hate to fail so soon

Tags
nitrates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com