Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-21-2013, 08:52 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Yep I agree 20 isn't to bad for a fowlr. Do you have detritus buildup on your substrate or rocks? Like stated earlier what test kit? Some are much better than others.

bribo12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:13 AM   #12
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

That is really not that bad. While it is not optimal it's not a killer either. Just cut back on feedings and check your pwc water to make sure you are not adding them to the tank.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:37 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My reef has gone as high as 40s-50s for months at a time in the early stages when i didn't have a good grasp of what i was doing. Not that it was a good thing but i didn't suffer any loses in coral or livestock. I didn't have any sps but i had a lot of LPS and nothing happened. That said, I wouldn't make it a practice of running high nitrates but It's not the end of the world to have 20ppm. I keep mine in the 4ish ppm using the red sea kit. Switching out to a simpler refugium with filter socks that take 2 minutes to change vs. my wet/dry that i was rinsing filter media has kept me on time rather than being lazy and letting it go for another day. If it seems less like work you're more likely to do it lol. Maybe try a little "wetter" skim. It will fill faster but also pull out some more waste hopefully.
EDIT: BTW i have been in this now for almost 5 years so im no expert but I've learned A LOT more now than I did back the lol.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:08 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I had so much difficulty with my tank and nitrates. And then.... Da da da... Some random guy at my lfs told me to check out reefcleaners.org. No, I'm not affiliated. I bought 6 mangroves. They look like giant green beans. Generally, I've seen people put them in their sumps but i was so frazzled, I dug them right into my sand bed. Within a month, I had no nitrates and have no had any since. I tried almost everything before that. Hope this helps!
Old 11-23-2013, 10:34 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

I started another thread about the mangrove seeds on here...was in the 12-15 range on nitrates and within a few weeks I'm hovering over 5....it would take about 10-12 to show any signs on a 29 gal cube but it does have a small effect on nitrates...mind you the mangrove is not a replacement for proper tank maintenance but a very small help to it...I don't have any solid tests to back my claims but maybe I'll use a 15 gal tank to try it out ...if anyone has any good advise on how to do a good test with a control element I'll try it and post results on the mangroves...I use Red Sea pro multi test kit btw
Old 11-23-2013, 10:39 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Also I live in Sarasota/Bradenton Florida 5 min from the ocean so mangroves are free...I just freshwater rinse them and wipe them down and put them in a quarantine tank for a few days before adding them...not even sure if that's the right way of doing it but I've dodged a few bullets if it isn't
Old 11-23-2013, 11:18 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
How often are you doing partial water changes and how much?
This is a good question. If not enough that's a problem right there.

Tags
ate, nitrate, nitrates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com