Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-25-2013, 12:47 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Wow thanks guys/gals I will get some better powerheads and seriously with what I have in the tank as far as stock dechlorinated tap will be OK to use just to get the nitrates down? I am working on a fix for my RODI unit but yes I understand I need to get the trates under control. I have tested my tap water and as far as ammonia, nitrates and other basic params its fine.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:48 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

I thought that with all my LR and chaeto I would have seen some difference by now.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:05 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by epaz View Post
Wow thanks guys/gals I will get some better powerheads and seriously with what I have in the tank as far as stock dechlorinated tap will be OK to use just to get the nitrates down? I am working on a fix for my RODI unit but yes I understand I need to get the trates under control. I have tested my tap water and as far as ammonia, nitrates and other basic params its fine.
People freak out about tap water all the time however used short term it's perfectly fine as long as it's ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and phosphate free. I've been using nothing but tap for the past 7 months and haven't had any issues related to the use of it. However, I'm sure at this juncture I will catch flak for suggesting it to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epaz View Post
I thought that with all my LR and chaeto I would have seen some difference by now.
The LR and chaeto is very dependent on the flow in the tank. If there isn't enough flow for the chaeto it won't grow as fast as it can as well as issues with live rock processing enough nutrients to be effective; especially as the flow breaks up over the rocks. How do you have your chaeto growing atm? What light do you have over it? Assuming that you have sufficient lighting I would suggest adding Grape Caulerpa into your refugium. It works much better at removing nitrates from your water compared to chaeto.

In your situation I personally would look at adding 2 Koralia evolution 1150s to your tank in addition to the two powerheads that you already have.

Hydor Koralia Evolution Pump - 1150

That should help immensely with the flow issue in your tank.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:13 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

All I have now as far as light on the chaeto is a fluorescent aquarium hood and its growing like a weed. As far as flow in the tank with that many power heads won't it bother my fish? With just what I have it seems to have a pretty good "current" throughout the tank with 2 more in there that water is gonna be moving! That doesn't bother the fish?
Old 11-25-2013, 01:18 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

It won't bother them in the slightest.. Saltwater fish handle high flow a lot better than fresh water fish. It's standard to keep a 10x - 40x tank volume turnover per hour in powerheads. Those 2 1150s and 2 450s will put you at 3200gph which is only about 25x the tank volume.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:48 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

OK sounds good which brings me to my next dilemma which may need its own thread. How do you veteran reefers handle your electrical? I have only one outlet in the vicinity of my tank and have filled 2 surge bars with everything I already have running in the tank. I mean I'm a little nervous just having all that running. There really is no way of running any more wiring short of ripping my walls down. Ideas?
Old 11-25-2013, 02:38 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with Mebbid on the tap water. For FOWLRs, it is okay and for reef , it is probably fine short term. I just filled my 240g with tap water and Prime. I figure a bunch will go out with the first PWC and then I'm using just RO.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:46 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
I agree with Mebbid on the tap water. For FOWLRs, it is okay and for reef , it is probably fine short term. I just filled my 240g with tap water and Prime. I figure a bunch will go out with the first PWC and then I'm using just RO.
+1
tap water isnt as bad as most hobbyists would have you believe. i would never recommend using it long term thopugh
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Awesome, that will help me reign in these nitrates asap until I figure my rodi unit out. Did anyone have any ideas on my electrical questions from above? Then I will leave you guys alone, promise!
Old 11-25-2013, 03:15 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

epaz, thats an open subject. it really depends on the ameperage load that your setup pulls. obviously if you have a larger setup with several high powered MH lights, several powerheads, a skimmer, reactor, and several other pieces of equipment, you'd want to find a way to split that load onto 2 seperate breakers. however if have a relatively low amperage load (such as my 125 does) you can get away with using a single outlet. youd be surprised too. im running 400w of lighting, 2 powerheads, a mag18 return pump, 2-200w heaters, a skimmer, and a24"dual t5 light on a single outlet. sure some may say thats not safe but i can play my playstation, and run the vacuum at the same time without tripping anything. so it really depends on the load and the breaker system itself

huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com