Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-24-2013, 10:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

nitrates!

I need advice I have had my 125 reef tank going for roughly six months now ever since the beginning my nitrates have literally read off the scales, I am using an API liquid test kit and all other params are good save my ammonia which just started to creep very little. Everything in the tank seems to be doing fine I haven lost any at least due to the high trates. I did a 60% pwc 2 days ago and it did absolutely nothing still read bright red. I am at a complete loss here. Help?

Old 11-24-2013, 10:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Can you take the water to a LFS for testing? I had issues with the API test. I ended up getting a different test. What type of filter are you using? I had an issue once and added a refugium and all is better.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:00 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't like api's test either try salifert or red sea and then see what the reading is
Old 11-25-2013, 09:58 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have a wet/dry sump but instead of bi-balls I have lr rubble and a big hunk of chaeto
Old 11-25-2013, 10:28 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Are the rocks in the sump full of any gunk? If left with out any cleaning the rocks can accumulate particulate matter and that would be your nitrates right there. I had a similar issue in my biocube, no matter how many 50% water changes i did back to back the nitrates never moved from red. Turned out to ber my media bags with chemipure were trapping stuff and once I removed and put in a clean bag the nitrates went right down.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:41 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Also I took a water sample to my lfs and he used two separate liquid test on my water and they both showed yellow. Naturally I thought I had a bad test kit (it was really old) so I bought a new one (all they had was API) got home pitched the old one and tested still bright red with the new kit. I am seriously at a loss. There is a little gunk in my sump but not excessive.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:17 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Are you running a protein skimmer?
Whats the stocking on the tank?
How much are you feeding?
Before this 60% water change what was your normal water change schedule like?
How much live rock do you have?
How much flow does your tank have?
Old 11-25-2013, 11:43 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I am running a Skimmer although its small for my tank
Stocking I have 2 Oc clowns, 1 damsel, 1 dotty a large Kenya tree coral and a large colony of zoo polyps and a mixed bag cuc
Before this pwc I hadn't done any because I hadn't had a RODI unit.
I have 100+ lbs of live rock
Old 11-25-2013, 11:44 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I am not sure on my flow I am running 2 korralia 450 power heads for circulation if that's what you mean. Sorry I'm such a noob.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:11 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by epaz View Post
Also I took a water sample to my lfs and he used two separate liquid test on my water and they both showed yellow. Naturally I thought I had a bad test kit (it was really old) so I bought a new one (all they had was API) got home pitched the old one and tested still bright red with the new kit. I am seriously at a loss. There is a little gunk in my sump but not excessive.
Have you been precisely following the directions on the API nitrate test? 10 drops of bottle 1 and then shake for 5 seconds. Shake bottle 2 for 30 seconds and then add 10 drops. After that shake the tube for a full minute.

When you are shaking it needs to be very very vigorous.

Quote:
I am running a Skimmer although its small for my tank
Stocking I have 2 Oc clowns, 1 damsel, 1 dotty a large Kenya tree coral and a large colony of zoo polyps and a mixed bag cuc
Before this pwc I hadn't done any because I hadn't had a RODI unit.
I have 100+ lbs of live rock
I've read your other threads really quick and all I can say is you're going to need WAAY more water changes. It's completely possible that your nitrates were over 240 without a single water change in 6 months. If you're still having issues with your RO/DI unit I would suggest forgetting it for the time being and do the large water changes with dechlorinated tap water. The tap will do less harm to your system than the nitrates will unless you have absolutely awful water with high levels of ammonia or nitrites. 2 or 3 more 50% water changes should take care of the issue.

Quote:
I am not sure on my flow I am running 2 korralia 450 power heads for circulation if that's what you mean. Sorry I'm such a noob.
Your flow is way too low for your tank with those being your only powerheads. These are giving you 900gph of flow when at the very minimum I would aim for 2500gph in a 125g tank.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com