Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-16-2010, 02:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Nitrates are at 20 ppm

Hi I do a ten gallon water change every week on my 75 gallon tank. I use RO water and I test to water before adding it to the tank. Ever since I added my huma, my nitrate levels have spiked to 20 ppm from 10 ppm. I was wondering if there is anything I can do to get my nitrates back to more comfortable levels. All of my other water parameters are good. My tank is only 3 months old. I was feeding the fish 3 times a day now I am only feeding them twice a day. I also have a maroon clownfish and two yellowtail damsels. Basically am I getting into dangerous territory with my nitrate levels?

Old 06-16-2010, 02:58 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

You're feeding too often still. Most feed once daily, and there are some, including me, that feed only every other day.

What are you feding by the way? Triggers need meat, so i assume you're feeding more of that now with that addition.

20ppm is totally acceptable for a fish only tank anyway.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I am feeding the trigger and clownfish frozen mysis and brine

I also bought a frozen cocktail that consists of squid, mysis, brine and krill. The problem is that everytime they see me the huma and clownfish start begging me for food. I get soft and end up feeding them. They should be alright to feed them every other day or only once a day. I know the huma likes to eat.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:35 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

We've all fallen for the begging fish. It is exciting to see them eat, but those 'trates can get up there that way.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:40 PM   #5
Thanx but no.....

Your humu is also taking some food back into your rock work and leaving pieces of it there to decay (if he's anything like mine; a pig, glutton, slob). I used to feed him big chunks but he made such a mess that he now gets smaller pieces that he can swallow whole. Between that and the scooping up mouth fulls of sand and spitting them everywhere not to mention being a pest and ripping the nori off the clip and spitting that everywhere also..He's a real pleasure.

Assuming you're talking about a Humu Trigger
Old 06-16-2010, 03:52 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

For a FOWLR tank 20 ppm is not all that bad. The goal is 0 but sometimes is hard to obtain esp. in a tank with triggers and other messy eaters.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:12 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If you want to reduce them try bigger water changes for awhile. That worked for me when I got mine down for 160ppm
Old 06-16-2010, 07:03 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Try adding some chaeto to the tank. Should help out a bit, along with reduced feedings for sure.
MAtt
Old 06-16-2010, 07:38 PM   #9
is back to save the day!

Yeah, but only add the chaeto if you have proper lighting for it. If you don't it will die off and cause your system more trouble than just 20ppm of nitrates.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:10 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

+1 Zer0, If you add it, a desk lamp or a simple "plant grow bulb" will work really well. Chaeto doesnt need much.

Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nitrates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com