Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-05-2013, 03:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Nitrates at 80ppm wont go down?

Have been at 40ppm for about two months but recently went to 80ppm. Have a 50gl fish tank with live rock and just a tiny bit of Xania that came in some live rock. Equipment used a marineland 200 HOB filter with no bio media or bio wheel just carbon filter. Using a coralife 65G protein skimmer got two power heads a jup 01 uv light and about 55lb live rock and 30lb ogranite live sand.

Live stock:
Lyretail wrassle about 5inch
Panther grouper 3inch
Yellow head moray 6inch
Snowflake moray 12inch.

I do 5gl water changes every week and still won't go down. Make sure the filter is nice and clean feed them 1-2 a week still can't get my nitrates to go down :/ any ideas?

Old 06-05-2013, 04:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hi Mark,

First off, I have to be honest. You're pretty overstocked. The wrasse needs a 125g+ tank. That grouper will need a tank even bigger. They are way too much fish for your tank. I would more than seriously consider returning those fish.

Also, what test kits are you using? How much are you feeding every time?

Old 06-06-2013, 03:32 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I understand that they do need a way bigger tank but their all small at the moment and seem to thrive in their 50gl tank. i love my fishes why would I want to return them??? I do plan on upgrading to 120gl in the near future =) I use the API marine fish test tubes always accurate. I feed mainly the eels on dinner time because they eat the most but do make a mess. Only feed them as much as they can eat until I notice that they are not interested. I never siphon my sand will that help?
Old 06-06-2013, 07:10 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
You are way overfeeding. Feed every other day and no where near as much as they can fit in their bodies. Everything you put in the tank must be removed by you, with water changes and/or filtration, even if it's been eaten.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:24 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
You are way overfeeding. Feed every other day and no where near as much as they can fit in their bodies. Everything you put in the tank must be removed by you, with water changes and/or filtration, even if it's been eaten.
Yes lately I've been noticing that I do have to remove what they don't eat it's somewhat difficult though since some get stuck between the live rock. I do try my best to target each fish when feeding. My morays I use a tong utensil. Any advice?
Old 06-06-2013, 08:14 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
What I mean is, even if they eat it and it appears completely gone, it's still in the tank. You are still building up nutrients with every feeding. Cut back on feeding and do not feed as much per feeding.
Up your water changes, and get an oversized protein skimmer. That's what I would do.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:29 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
What I mean is, even if they eat it and it appears completely gone, it's still in the tank. You are still building up nutrients with every feeding. Cut back on feeding and do not feed as much per feeding.
Up your water changes, and get an oversized protein skimmer. That's what I would do.
Thanks for the advice mr. X

Tags
nitrates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com