Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-10-2013, 01:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Nitrates!! Help!

Tried everything! My nitrates are up and they refuse to come down! Water changes are NOT! Working the level is staying up and i dont know why! Can anyone help??

Old 08-10-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

How high are they? And how much water are you changing out?

Old 08-10-2013, 02:05 PM   #3

I do %10 around every 10 days this morning did a %25 water change 7 days after the last %10...............there is no drop in nitrate.i use a nutrafin test kit with colour chart which indicates a reading between 20 and 40! But the reading just doesn't seem to change.all my other tests are coming back as zero (ammonia,nitrite,phos and my PH is stable at 8.1 i just don't know whats causing the spike!
Old 08-10-2013, 02:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd try a different test kit or check the water you are putting into the tank as that may already have nitrates?
Old 08-10-2013, 02:16 PM   #5

I use water i get from my lsf,i tested it yesterday with the same test kit and it resulted zero! I just don't have a clue why the nitrates are up and nothing is seeming to bring them down.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:24 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

20 to 40 is not that high. But which is it 20 or 40. how often do you feed the fish, how often do you clean your filter media, do you have sand or crushed coral. How many fish,If its 20 its not a big deal unless you want corals.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would increase your WCs to at least once every 7 days and increase the volume of water to 15%.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:39 PM   #8

Feed the fish 2-3 times a day a mix of frozen brine,marine and algae flake.i have two tanks,both of which are in the same situation.all levels are spot on except for nitrate! My main tank is 450 liter with a 120 liter sump containing about 60 kg live rock alltogether stock with a pair of maroon clowns,a regal tang,a sailfin tang,a diamond goby,a firefish and a cleaner wrasse plus inverts.

Small tank is 50litre with about 12kg of live rock,two true percs,a bicolour dottyback and a prawn goby.recently did a 70 percent water change and the nitrates never changed lol. I am totally confused!
Old 08-10-2013, 02:41 PM   #9

I use coral sand and id say the level is closer to 20 the water changes have been sufficient for months and my tank is nowhere near over stocked! These nitrates have kinda just appeared and i dont know why?
Old 08-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeboy-83 View Post
Feed the fish 2-3 times a day a mix of frozen brine,marine and algae flake.i have two tanks,both of which are in the same situation.all levels are spot on except for nitrate! My main tank is 450 liter with a 120 liter sump containing about 60 kg live rock alltogether stock with a pair of maroon clowns,a regal tang,a sailfin tang,a diamond goby,a firefish and a cleaner wrasse plus inverts.

Small tank is 50litre with about 12kg of live rock,two true percs,a bicolour dottyback and a prawn goby.recently did a 70 percent water change and the nitrates never changed lol. I am totally confused!
I believe overfeeding could be a big part of your nitrate problem. Once every other day would be sufficient.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com