Nitrates/PO4 High

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishAddict413

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 140 gallon FOWLR has been established for about 3 years now. I have a Marineland C-350, Emperor 400 filter, a Koralia 4 PH and an AquaC Remora Pro Skimmer pushing the system. I added De*Nitrate in one of my extra media trays in the Emperor and have carbon in the other tray. I have read that when using De*Nitrate to have flow of only about 50 gph. My nitrates have been around 80ppm or so. Will it be effective in the media tray? Should I double it up or move it in my canister filter with a bag? If I am correct the Emperor 400 is 400gph and C-350 in 350 Gph and is that too much? Please help I am going crazy!!

Most, if not all, media based denitrators only remove organics before they can be converted into nitrate. They won't lower what you have. Water changes, macro algae, mangroves, DSB and reactors are the tools of choice to deal with existing nitrates. Well that and addressing what is causing the excess.. Over feeding, water type, food type/quality among other things.

IMO

Most, if not all, media based denitrators only remove organics before they can be converted into nitrate. They won't lower what you have. Water changes, macro algae, mangroves, DSB and reactors are the tools of choice to deal with existing nitrates. Well that and addressing what is causing the excess.. Over feeding, water type, food type/quality among other things.

IMO
+1

In *theory*, Seachem's DeNitrate can remove nitrates in the same way a deep sand bed removes nitrates - by anaerobic bacteria converting nitrates to nitrogen gas. That's why they don't want you blowing water through at a high rate.

Whether or not it actually provides a home for anaerobic bacteria in your individual setup... that's the real question I suppose. I agree with the others... water changes are the dead plain simple way to reduce your nitrates, and keeping them out of the system to start with is even better.

IMO

+2

Quickest, Cheapest and easiest way to reduce Nitrates is PWC.
If you have corals, they are sensitive to Nitrates and you should be looking at marco algae or mangroves in your sump.

IMO try not to put any chemicals or un-natural products in your tank. These can cause more issues than they resolve.

Fishaddict143: I have order Korallin BioDenitrator S-1502 for my tank, shipment is still on the way, read a lot about it that it really makes your nitrates 0.

Back
Top Bottom