Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-07-2009, 02:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Nitrates/PO4 High

My 140 gallon FOWLR has been established for about 3 years now. I have a Marineland C-350, Emperor 400 filter, a Koralia 4 PH and an AquaC Remora Pro Skimmer pushing the system. I added De*Nitrate in one of my extra media trays in the Emperor and have carbon in the other tray. I have read that when using De*Nitrate to have flow of only about 50 gph. My nitrates have been around 80ppm or so. Will it be effective in the media tray? Should I double it up or move it in my canister filter with a bag? If I am correct the Emperor 400 is 400gph and C-350 in 350 Gph and is that too much? Please help I am going crazy!!

Old 10-07-2009, 03:08 PM   #2
Thanx but no.....

Most, if not all, media based denitrators only remove organics before they can be converted into nitrate. They won't lower what you have. Water changes, macro algae, mangroves, DSB and reactors are the tools of choice to deal with existing nitrates. Well that and addressing what is causing the excess.. Over feeding, water type, food type/quality among other things.

IMO

Old 10-07-2009, 03:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to match55 Send a message via MSN to match55 Send a message via Yahoo to match55
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAhab View Post
Most, if not all, media based denitrators only remove organics before they can be converted into nitrate. They won't lower what you have. Water changes, macro algae, mangroves, DSB and reactors are the tools of choice to deal with existing nitrates. Well that and addressing what is causing the excess.. Over feeding, water type, food type/quality among other things.

IMO
+1
Old 10-07-2009, 04:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

In *theory*, Seachem's DeNitrate can remove nitrates in the same way a deep sand bed removes nitrates - by anaerobic bacteria converting nitrates to nitrogen gas. That's why they don't want you blowing water through at a high rate.

Whether or not it actually provides a home for anaerobic bacteria in your individual setup... that's the real question I suppose. I agree with the others... water changes are the dead plain simple way to reduce your nitrates, and keeping them out of the system to start with is even better.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:48 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to SHARPiE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAhab View Post

IMO
+2

Quickest, Cheapest and easiest way to reduce Nitrates is PWC.
If you have corals, they are sensitive to Nitrates and you should be looking at marco algae or mangroves in your sump.

IMO try not to put any chemicals or un-natural products in your tank. These can cause more issues than they resolve.

Useful Acronyms
SHARPiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:14 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Fishaddict143: I have order Korallin BioDenitrator S-1502 for my tank, shipment is still on the way, read a lot about it that it really makes your nitrates 0.

Tags
nitrates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com