Nitrates too High

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So today while doing my regular weekly PWC I cleaned the filter pads and realized that under them are bio balls. I have read that bio balls can be nitrate factories. I have the trickle filter to the floss, bio balls, then to the diablo skimmer, then to refugium, then back to tank. I did rinse the balls in the old water. Anyone have any ideas? Do I need to change anything? I did reduce the bio load and they are still holding strong at 20-50ppm.

That's crazy, on my first SW tank I was using the API salt master kit and was beating my head against the wall trying to get my nitrates down to a reasonable level. Until I someone told me that the API test kit isn't the most reliable thing in the world but if you divide the nitrate reading by 4 ten you will be much closer to your actual reading. Something about t testing for more then one type of nitrate (please don't attack me I don't know all of the details) but it seems to have held true. My water tests fine at the LFS and my fish are all happy and healthy.

For Fish only tank on many different sources, nitrates do not matter.
How high is too high for fish only?
DJB

From what I have read, API reads one thing and others read another for nitrates. I have not been able to figure our which is the actual number we should be looking for.

API says:
This test kit reads total nitrate (NO3-)level in parts per million...in saltwater aquariums. This test kit measures nitrate as nitrate ion or "total nitrate". Other kits that measure "nitrate-nitrogen" (NO3-N) will give readings 4.4 times LESS than this test kit.

I'm not sure that means you should divide it by 4 (or 4.4) Or if people with kits like RedSea should be multiplying their readings by 4.4. Seems that its an apples and oranges thing, but sure would like a definitive answer.

For Fish only tank on many different sources, nitrates do not matter.
How high is too high for fish only?
DJB

Its not that Nitrates do not matter. they do damage to fish if they are too high, regardless of the type of tank you have.

I've always heard that under 20ppm is ok for FOWLR. Ideally, you keep it as close to zero as possible though. Reefs are much more picky, so you want close to zero all the times, but that is the corals that need that, not so much the fish.

Ok so I have started feeding every other day, moved the foxface, am doing a 15% PWC every week, have a refugium, in the sump with a reef octopus skimmer, yet my nitrates still show at 80PPM. FOWLR, and all of the fish seem happy. I just added a new powerhead tonight. What can be causing the nitrate?

Are you doing the "multiply it by 4" thing? I'm still not convinced that we need to do that with the API kit. If its measuring "total nitrates", then I take that as "it is what it says it is".

How is the skimmer working? Pulling lots of nasty gunk?

Have you tried another brand of test. Or take a water sample and have it tested at the LFS , most will do it for free. Just to make sure your test kit is right? Because I think at 80ppm your fish would start to die off. Could be wrong though

No, it would take a lot more than 80 ppm of nitrates to kill a fish. Corals might have problems but not fish. Your only solution is frequent pwc's. I would do two 25% pwc's a week.

Are you doing the "multiply it by 4" thing? I'm still not convinced that we need to do that with the API kit. If its measuring "total nitrates", then I take that as "it is what it says it is".

How is the skimmer working? Pulling lots of nasty gunk?

Skimmer works great. I am running it little wet and topping the tank off every day or so,

I just read back through this thread...your stocking seems ok, but I agree that the Koran will outgrow that tank. Eels are messy eaters, but the CUC should enjoy the scraps. As much as I am a "bio balls aren't always nitrate factories" kinda guy, I almost wonder if that might be the problem. I've had two tanks with them and never had nitrate problems, but maybe I'm lucky. Also, do you have any dead spots with water flow? Those nitrates are coming from somewhere.

So I just went to check out my tank, there must be a hundred small brittle starfish on all of the rocks, Is that good? If my nitrates are that high wouldn't that effect them first?

Back
Top Bottom