Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-31-2012, 12:31 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Exclamation Nitrates too High

I had an issue with my nitrate test and it was wrong. It said 0 they were well over 100. I have added a refugium, and I am doing about a 20 gallon water change(93 gallon tank) every day or 2. My RO takes forever to make water. I tested again today and now it is around 80. Has anyone ever dosed with vodka or vinegar? I have been doing some research on this. I have a deep sand bed and a octopus diablo skimmer. I have a snowflake eel, korrian angel, foxface, 4 small blue damsels, and some snails, hermits and starfish. This is an established tank, I am not sure how long they have been too high as the first test I was using was no good.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:29 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've used both vodka and vinegar and they both work very well. I have been using vinegar now because vodka tends to produce cyno also vineger is a lot cheaper . My nitrates drop from about 60 to 0. But you still have to do your maintenance, water changes watch your overfeeding etc.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:40 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
What do you think the high nitrates are caused by? Overfeeding? Not enough flow?
Old 12-31-2012, 11:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I am not really sure. I have been testing with the bad test for 4 months. I did just move the powerhead, hope that will help too.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:12 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I use a aquaripure denitrator. Best thing I ever bought
Old 01-01-2013, 01:14 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

You want to get them down but if it was a gradual raise your fish should be fine. Do water change ASAP. Don't panic to much if you have had them for a while fish can be very resultant.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:54 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafights
You want to get them down but if it was a gradual raise your fish should be fine. Do water change ASAP. Don't panic to much if you have had them for a while fish can be very resultant.
I have started vodka dosing and I am changing water as fast as my ro unit makes water. what causes high nitrates? I moved the power head from the rocks towards the top. I have macro algae on the way for my refugium. I am scared I may be over stocked. I did add a brittle star fish and can't find him. If he died would that do this? My tank is 93 gallon I have a Korean angel, fox face, 4 damsels, Niger trigger, snowflake eel, and starfishes, a few snails and hermits. I have a wet/dry trickle filter with bio balls, going to refugium, then to octopuses diabllo skimmer then to return. I bought this tank from a guy on Craig's list. He gave me his testing supplies... He didn't test for tartrate, only titrite. Should I try to rehome someone? I have a 65 gallon with only a pair of clowns and diamond go by. I think I could move someone if I had to, maybe the fox face???
Thanks for any help!!!!
Old 01-02-2013, 10:28 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Nutrients in the water cause the nitrates to go up. It does not sound overstocked to me and the fish should be fine. The sea star may be a little more susceptible. He is probably hiding somewhere in the tank unless you have seen his body in the there somewhere. Nitrates are just one of the most difficult things to breakdown in your tank. The corals (if u have any will be the most affected). Another is to check what kind of salt you are using. Some salts actually carry things in them that will cause your nitrates to stay the same after a water change.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:39 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
How large are the fish? How are you feeding? It could very well be overstocked.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:31 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
How large are the fish? How are you feeding? It could very well be overstocked.
Angel is about 5-6" snowflake is about 24" trigger and fox face are about 3" damsels about 1" I feed a little frozen food each night. I hand seaweed from veggie clip every night. I feed the eel with tongs(about every 2/3 days when ever he starts swimming to the top.

Tags
nitrates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com