Nitromax Marine + dead fish?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

it512

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got a Heniochus Butterfly 2 days ago.
I noticed my ammonia rose just a little bit, from 0 to 0.25 so I added Nitromax Marine.
The fish was breathing heavily and swimming in circles about 3 hours after I added Nitromax, then 4 hours later he was dead.
Before I added Nitromax that fish was eating and swimming around just fine. All the other fish are doing great. He had been in the tank for about 36 hours before I added Nitromax.
Any Ideas???
Or could this have been a bad fish from the LFS?

I've never used Nitromax Marine before, but whenever you see an ammonia spike you can always try a 50% water change instead of adding chemicals to fix the problem. If the fish was swimming around fine, I have a hard time believing it was simply a bad fish from the LFS.

JMHO. Sorry for your loss.

seaham358 said:
how do you acclimate the fish and how long.

Thats what I'm thinking happened, I acclimated him to quickly. I read that an instant temp change in the water could cause an issue a day or 2 later.
As far as acclimating him, I let the bag he came in float in the water for about 15min, then I took out 1/4 of the water and added 1/4 tank water. waited 15 more mins and did that 2 more times.
Do you guys have any better suggestions as far as acclimation?

Thanks again....

I use the drip method. I turn off the lights, put the fish in a 5G (with the water it came in) bucket and drip water from my tank into the bucket, for about an hour or more. I do inverts the same, only do it for 2+ hours.

Back
Top Bottom