Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-26-2014, 10:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Question No Ammonia or Nitrate but high Nitrite

I am puzzled i have no ammonia or nitrates but have high nitrites. Im kinda new to this but my salt level is 1.024 and amm 0 no2 5 and no3 0. How is this possible nitrites break down into nitrates correct? If so how is this possible? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath62 View Post
I am puzzled i have no ammonia or nitrates but have high nitrites. Im kinda new to this but my salt level is 1.024 and amm 0 no2 5 and no3 0. How is this possible nitrites break down into nitrates correct? If so how is this possible? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
This means your aquarium is not cycled. You have to build up on bacteria that converts nitrite to nitrate. I hope you don't have fish yet.

3g Pico Reef
Sillyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:45 PM   #3

I understand that but i did have nitrate at once it spiked to 160 then went down to 80 then gradually down until 0 but i still have nitrite thats why im puzzled.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I understand that but i did have nitrate at once it spiked to 160 then went down to 80 then gradually down until 0 but i still have nitrite thats why im puzzled.
You probably haven't built up enough bacteria or somehow you killed all your bacteria.
3g Pico Reef
Old 08-27-2014, 07:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:

That's impossible, it doesn't work that way. Ammonia and nitrite are converted into nitrates which are removed by you via water changes.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:03 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedsReefs10 View Post
That's impossible, it doesn't work that way. Ammonia and nitrite are converted into nitrates which are removed by you via water changes.
Nitrates can be removed via macroalgae, live rock, and in your sand bed. I'm sure you know that though. I'm willing to bet you just killed your bacteria somehow.
3g Pico Reef
Old 08-27-2014, 08:12 PM   #7

so then what do I do from here like i said im kinda new to this
Old 08-27-2014, 08:15 PM   #8

well its not impossible i tested it twice with two different test kits
Old 08-27-2014, 08:43 PM   #9

Heath I am following along here because I had the same issue. Did you by chance start your tank with tap water? That is what I did when I first started ( that is what my LFS said was the best) and boy was that a mistake. I started off with really high nitrates added a raw shrimp and thought all was going great when my ammonia spiked, then lowered...still had some nitrates though, then nitrite spiked and nitrates were at 0. Nitrites were still high and then all of a sudden my ammonia started appearing again after weeks of cycling. Now I am back to square 1. Been doing water changes with RO/DI water added a new shrimp and letting it do it's thing. Hopefully I am doing it right this time still not sure ...noob move on my part, but hey it's all about learning from your mistakes right?
Old 08-27-2014, 08:48 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyfishies View Post
Nitrates can be removed via macroalgae, live rock, and in your sand bed. I'm sure you know that though. I'm willing to bet you just killed your bacteria somehow.

Macro will use nitrates but you need a lot for it to be really effective and there is a small amount of bacteria deep in the rocks that convert nitrates to co2 but not in the amount the op suggests. The majority of the bb in the tank convert ammo and nitrite to nitrates, which do not drop on their own (that's why we do wc's right?) at least not from 160ppm to 0 that would take a 100%wc.

Tags
ammonia, ate, nitrate, nitrite

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com