No inverts...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VinnyLLU

Aquarium Advice Regular
If there's a sick fish in your FOWLR, can use just treat the entire DT or should you move the fish to a separate QT?

Keep in mind this is for stuff like ick and general parasites...

I use Garlic Extreme by Kent on the food and in the water per instructions. It won't cure your fish but will boost the fishes immune system. Helping it to fight the infection. the trick is to catch it early before your fish is in distress.

I use that Garlic stuff too and I haven't had any sick fish for a long,long time.:dance:

I add it to the food if I see any fish flash and to the water if I see spots or lethargic fish. Been about 6 years with no Ich and I don't quarantine. I do use my refugiem for sick or injured fish.

If there's a sick fish in your FOWLR, can use just treat the entire DT or should you move the fish to a separate QT?

Keep in mind this is for stuff like ick and general parasites...

Garlic has been not been proven to have any affect on ich or a fishes immune system. It was suggested as a potential treatment for some internal parasites by a popular aquarist and since then its popularity has exploded with people making claims that it does just about everything imaginable. From there the aquarium companies jumped on the bandwagon and started marketing it as a cure for a large number of things. I wouldn't rely on garlic as a treatment for anything.

That being said, if you want to do a treatment for something in your DT that has no inverts then it would be acceptable to do that. It might be worth looking at taking a sizable portion of your rock out and sticking it in a different vessel for a while feeding it some fish food occasionally just in case you kill your bio filter.

Garlic in its natural for has alot of benefits to the human body, I dont see why it wouldnt do The same for a small fish.

Garlic contains high levels of iodine which makes it a very effective treatment for hyperthyroid conditions. Treatment with garlic has been shown to greatly improve this condition.

4. Scurvy is treated by vitamin C and garlic contains good levels of vitamin C too.

. Fungal and bacterial ******l infections are toast when treated with garlic! When crushed or bruised, garlic releases Allicin which is a sulphuric compound that is a natural antibiotic. WWI soldiers even apparently used crushed garlic on infected wounds suffered in battle. If you decide to take garlic in tablet form be sure to use powdered capsules. The processes used to create garlic tablets destroy the Allicin that is present.

Garlic in its natural for has alot of benefits to the human body, I dont see why it wouldnt do The same for a small fish.

Just about everything that isn't poisonous to humans has "health benefits" to the human body. It's part of having a varied diet.

Garlic contains high levels of iodine which makes it a very effective treatment for hyperthyroid conditions. Treatment with garlic has been shown to greatly improve this condition.

4. Scurvy is treated by vitamin C and garlic contains good levels of vitamin C too.

Iodine is also found in the water in our tanks as well as fish food. There is a plentiful amount of it for fish whereas humans our main source of it is generally iodized salt. This is especially true is a person doesn't eat seafood. It's also important to feed various quality foods that contain vitamins for the same reason.

. Fungal and bacterial ******l infections are toast when treated with garlic! When crushed or bruised, garlic releases Allicin which is a sulphuric compound that is a natural antibiotic. WWI soldiers even apparently used crushed garlic on infected wounds suffered in battle. If you decide to take garlic in tablet form be sure to use powdered capsules. The processes used to create garlic tablets destroy the Allicin that is present.

There are an obscene number of things that have antibiotic properties. Even bacteria make their own antibiotics. If you had a fungal or bacterial infection would you just put some garlic on it and hope for the best? Or would you go to a doctor for a real treatment?

Humans will look for anything in existance to treat things that aren't true medications. While I believe homeopathic remedies do have their place, I wouldn't in a million years even think of suggesting them for something life threatening and the exact same goes for fish. Just about every type of sickness fish get is potentially fatal so treating with garlic is a waste of time.

I all I got to say about that is that I havent had a fish die or get sick On me for a long,long time,I reckon.:)

I see it as an inexpensive food additive I use when making my own food. Fish love the taste and there is little downside to using it, other than it stinks to high heaven. In humans it is considered a immune system builder, not very powerful one, but again, no down side.

Wow!! Thanks for the tips. This is starting o turn into a health food debate... Lmao!?

Back
Top Bottom