Non-Invert, Coral Safe Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gboy66

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi! Exactly what the title says. I want a fish that will eat inverts (i wont have any), but will also be good in a 66 gallon reef and be peaceful with nano fish! Ideas??

JustinKBreen said:
Well that is a tough one... Bi color goat fish?

Wow thays sweet!! Keep em comin!

So far we have thought of things like hawkfish, marine betta, and foxface

My humu trigger is fine. Wouldn't trust it with inverts, but leaves corals alone. Seems they tend to be more docile if purchased when they're small.

AquaRick said:
My humu trigger is fine. Wouldn't trust it with inverts, but leaves corals alone. Seems they tend to be more docile if purchased when they're small.

In a 66? We actually did make a purchase along these lines today-an big engineer goby:)

I have a Niger trigger and he eats small crabs but he doesn't mess with any of my smaller gobies or little clowns, btw I have him in a 55

Austin23 said:
I have a Niger trigger and he eats small crabs but he doesn't mess with any of my smaller gobies or little clowns, btw I have him in a 55

I always thought these fish needed huge tanks!

When I got mine he was only like 3 inches long and it's been about 7month since I got him and he only grew about an inch at best

Whoops, didn't notice the size of your tank with the 66g. Triggers are out of the question then.

And the saltwater fish store I got him from sai he should be fine in a 55 as long as it didn't get crowded

As for the Niger trigger in the 55, that is way too small a tank. They are a large fish and require much more swimming room even at a juvenile stage.

Last edited:
Haha yea man no triggers for us! That tank is small and that will lead to alot of agression...

Flame hawk
and +1 on the triggers ,,i really wish people would see these guys the same way they see tangs..They need big tangs too

+1 to Hawkfish! Don't know if it would jive with the rest of your stock, but great non- invert fish. Another one I've always wanted but can't have without a new set-up.

Flreefer said:
+1 to Hawkfish! Don't know if it would jive with the rest of your stock, but great non- invert fish. Another one I've always wanted but can't have without a new set-up.

Haha he would work! I guess i could replace the midas:)

Flame hawkfish looks pretty cool. I'd be worried with gobies or other small bottomdwellers though.

Back
Top Bottom