Nor. Cal Play Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saltwaterlvr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm located in Northern Cali (Sacramento area) and I'm trying to find a Home Depot/Lowes that carries play sand that I can use to start my 60 Gal. SW tank. :? I hear the right type is only found on the East Coast. Help please. :D

I was trying to save some dough and buy it from the hardware stores, but I guess I'll have to break down and buy from my LFS. They have a 50lb bag for $19.95.

Cool, then all I'll have to do is add a few lbs of LS to the mix correct?

Rock and sand vs. LR/LS
"Live" in this sense means having the beneficial nitrifying bacteria that converts ammonia to nitrItes to nitrAtes. So sand and rock will become "live" once the cycle completes.
So, if you go to your grocery store and get 2 raw, unseasoned jumbo shrimp, dump them into your tank and let them decay, this will start your cycle.
Now you can "seed" your tank using Cured LR and or a few Lbs of sand from an estabilished tank. This is another alternative to going the shrimp route, assuming you get enought LR/LS to skip the cycle.

Saltwaterlvr said:
I was trying to save some dough and buy it from the hardware stores, but I guess I'll have to break down and buy from my LFS. They have a 50lb bag for $19.95.

whoa really!? can you tell me what the name of the place is or their location? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom