Nori source?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bpeitzke

Aquarium Advice Activist
I need to get some more dried seaweed for my yellow tang & bicolor blenny who eat it. I'm looking to buy some nori online, to save money vs buying the seaweed packs at the LFS. I've found two sources - Maine Coast Sea Vegetables, and Nori Direct. The former has been mentioned as supplier in some forum threads, and offers a 100-sheet package for $38 + shipping. The latter offers a case of 10x100 half-sheets for $40 + shipping - that is either 5 times or 10 times the quantity from Maine Coast, for only $2 more. They claim to supply some big time aquariums, and that their Grade D Green nori is commonly used for marine herbivores. Sounds like a better deal, but I'd just like to hear from nori users before deciding. Either one is a far better deal than buying the little packs from LFS.

TIA

Bob

I work in a public aquarium and we use Marine Coast Sea Vegetables, if that means anything. Really, as long as it is untreated (not roasted or artificial additives) you should be ok.

Yup, that's the one I'm gonna buy unless the guy from Nori Direct confirms he has an unroasted product with no additives. He said he has some that's not listed on their website.

Thanks again.

- Bob

I buy it in 100 sheet packs from the local Asian grocer. It's around $8.00 for package. It is toasted, but that's all, no additiives. I've been using it for several years and my fish love it.

You don't want roasted nor toasted (really the same thing) since nutrients are stripped during the processing of either.

I get mine from a guy in our reef club. The package is all written in Chinese...lol. How can you tell if it's roasted/toasted or just dried?
The stuff I use looks and feels just like the Seaweed Select that I used to use.

Nori roasted/toasted

>>You don't want roasted nor toasted (really the same thing) since nutrients are stripped during the processing of either.<<

Good point. I'll try to find some that is just dried.

Thanks, Innovator.

- Bob

I get mine from a guy in our reef club. The package is all written in Chinese...lol. How can you tell if it's roasted/toasted or just dried?
The stuff I use looks and feels just like the Seaweed Select that I used to use.

Find someone who can read chinese? lol XD Usually it will say on the package if it is roasted or toasted and those that are not are almost always identified by the word "raw". If it says nothing at all I would assume it is not raw, imo.

Back
Top Bottom