Not so simple question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jamie7

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm wondering why my tank went cloudy-white a month or so ago. I don't like it. It's blatantly obvious because I have a fresh water tank next to it which has crystal clear water, as my marine tank used to have.

All the tests are within recommended levels and fish are perky. It has an adequate filter. I get water basically from the ocean which has been drawn and filtered by the local university for aquarists.

I also have Aiptasia anemones which I enjoy in the tank, as well as a couple of pink shrimp who prefer eating brine shrimp and have no interest in eating the Aptasia.

Another difference, along with the white cloudy water is the Aiptasia used to have pink cores (gastrovascular cavity) but now they look more or less pale camoflage tan. Are those bland cores in the Aiptasia possibly because the red algae died off after I reduced the light? They're still reproducing but not as fast as before.

Any hints or suggestions are most welcome! Thanks <=

Cloudy water means a bacterial bloom. Run some activated carbon and it will vanish.
As for your enjoyment of aiptasia, good luck with that. Their enjoyment of spreading like wildfire and stinging reef inhabitants makes them one heck of a pest. I accidentally introduced one somewhere and now they are all over my system.

Back
Top Bottom