Not sure who the culprit is....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Magnus

Aquarium Advice Activist
Bought a flame goby, and a sail fin crab about a week or so ago. Both are dead...well, I found the crab's big claw and that's it. The goby is partially eaten, and something was also nipping at it's tale when he was still alive.

I have a 55 gallon tank with two damsels (a yellow tale and another type of small one), a clown and a yellow tailed goby who likes to hide in caves. I have a brittle star, two turbo's and about 8 blue legged hermits.

Any ideas? It seems whenever I add a 5th fish, that it doesn't last, and I have no idea what could have gotten that crab.

sail fin crab? recheck that name. the crab could have molted and is still in the tank.
the damsels could have killed the firefish, but i suspect the crab.

what color is the brittle star?

Geeez, I forget the name of it! He's quite unique, a very narrow striping to him, in black. And he's a filter feeder, uses his feelers like a spread out fan to filter the water and then pulls it to his mouth. I didn't consider the moulting...hopefully that is all it is.

It's a red brittle star.

ahh...a porcelain crab. they are ok. i don't see one of them taking down a fish.
it's quite possible that the damsels killed the fish, although i doubt it unless you witnessed some aggression previously.

Ok...found the crab, he's ok.

The only fish that I saw being aggressive is the clown, but I've never actually seen him nip anything.

I dunno, it's wierd. No matter what the 5th fish is I buy, it always goes kaput. I guess I'll be sticking with 4 fish eh? lol.

Thanks for the help Doug.

Back
Top Bottom