Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-17-2014, 01:59 AM   #41
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

KNEW IT! Happy to hear (read) your success

Old 01-17-2014, 02:14 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by GouldFever View Post
KNEW IT! Happy to hear (read) your success
I really wonder how much current the older of the two old power heads was putting out....I tossed it last night when I opened it up to clean it and found some firm growth that I could not remove.

DonCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:23 AM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
A titanium grounding probe will drain off any stray voltage. I strongly recommend using a GFI with the probe encase you have direct and not stray voltage. Good luck!
Old 01-17-2014, 04:33 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezy33 View Post
A titanium grounding probe will drain off any stray voltage. I strongly recommend using a GFI with the probe encase you have direct and not stray voltage. Good luck!
I actually purchased one this evening, but I want to make sure I set it up right so I do not have an unexpected fish (or human) fry. I think the nearest outlet is grounded. I will have look tomorrow.

Last update before bed tonight, 4 hours in and both Damsels look to be doing well. I just walked into the room to check on them and they both shot to the top to see what was up!

Don
Old 01-17-2014, 09:12 AM   #45

HELP!!! I just woke up to find one of the damsels dead and the other near-death. It has been approximately 8 hours since introduction. The first one introduced had looked possibly bad immediately after introduction, but at that time I assumed that it was because he got pushed against the net with the powerhead current especially since he was better when he got back into the bucket of all DT water & appeared okay when he went back in to the DT the second time. All fish are alive and well (except horribly overstocked) in the QT. My water parameters are actually worse in the QT then the DT now since I had done a massive clean on it before I had expected to need it for so many fish. If it's not aeration and not stray current, I'm back to square one. I'm totally at a loss. And discouraged...

I attempted to save the second damsel, but he died halfway through the process. He did seem to perk up when he was removed from the DT. He was swimming, albeit erratically, at least (as opposed to laying on his side, not caring if he was netted) & seemed to move toward the QT water I was dripping in. Too little, too late I guess.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:13 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow...just read this thread. I have nothing to add, but am following along in hopes of seeing some resolution eventually. When damsels don't make it a day, something is going on.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:25 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yea same here! It's an amazing thread.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:33 PM   #48

So I have had a little while to think about this now...

Stray Voltage is at 0.7 volts. There is no way this could kill any fish, I would think....even if it was live voltage which seems unlikely since I tested all my outlets last night and all came back as grounded meaning the GFCI or surge protector should trip if that current was live.

Oxygenation: The glass top has been off for almost 48 hours now. As I understand it, if oxygen saturation was our problem, the problem should have fixed itself pretty quickly after removing the hood. That being said, the damsels did appear to be breathing somewhat rapidly last night, but I just assumed it was from being newly introduced and suspended in a net. Any suggestions as to where to get an oxygen saturation test?

Other than that, I am 100% at a loss. None of the algae growing could suck oxygen out of the tank, could it? We do have some red algae, some bubble algae (although that seems to be kind of under control now) and some green string algae. Nothing that looks out of the ordinary....

Don
Old 01-17-2014, 03:45 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've heard that some algae requires oxygen when the lights are off. However, that would require a lot of algae to suck a 125 to nothing.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:46 PM   #50

I'm beyond puzzled now

Tags
dead fish, quick death, toxic tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com