Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-18-2014, 09:28 AM   #71
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
I keep referring to the inverts because generally, they are the first things to go if there's a problem. If it was something toxic, I would see the shrimp go belly up long before the fish.
Ahh, makes sense. I've never tried to introduce new inverts into this new set-up because originally I had holdovers from the old set up, so those were the ones that lingered, but finally succumbed to whatever's going on. I have a small clean-up crew in the QT that I purchased when I thought I had the problem fixed, but I'm not going to subject them to the "tank of doom" until I have a new idea about what could be going on. I'm just worried how long they can last in the QT. I have a sandsifter star, an emerald crab, and a cleaner shrimp & there is no sand or rock in the tank. I have a pretty good grow-over on the back wall & some on the bare bottom of the tank, but I don't know if that is enough or what they need for any extended period of time.

Don

DonCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:07 PM   #72
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Sand sifting starfish need deep sand beds that are quite established. Most of them starve to death in captivity. It takes them months to starve and then they just start from the arms and disintegrate inward. It will look like something was eating at it.
As for the crab and cleaner shrimp, these can and should be target fed.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:26 PM   #73
Aquarium Advice Regular

Just butting in..... I have just purchased a uv sterlizer for a going on 9 month algae bloom. During my research about sterilizers, I happened across a youtube video with a poor soul that had a similar issue. It was his sterilizer. I guess the unit's plastic housing was covered with a toxic black residue on the inside. I'm not sure if it was due to overheating. This is the video. I do hope you find the cause of this.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:52 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachrotech View Post
Just butting in..... I have just purchased a uv sterlizer for a going on 9 month algae bloom. During my research about sterilizers, I happened across a youtube video with a poor soul that had a similar issue. It was his sterilizer. I guess the unit's plastic housing was covered with a toxic black residue on the inside. I'm not sure if it was due to overheating. This is the video. I do hope you find the cause of this.
I think you may have just found the problem. I have that exact UV Sterilizer (JBJ SUBmariner 9watt) running in my sump right now. Going to go pull the sterilizer now to have a look.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:24 AM   #75

Quote:

Ok, pulled the sterilizer and found a slight black residue present and the smell was -horrendous- to say the least. The main problem appears to be a broken seal, though. The color seen on the glass tube is the same color the Poly-Filter is turning, but I think I just overlooked that since the packaging said the filter would turn brown for organic waste. There was a distinct hydrogen sulfide and caustic stench to the glass tube.

Based on what the video said, I think the decision has been made to tear the tank down and start over with new water and sand and either new or at least dried out and bleached rock to make sure the toxins are removed.

THANK YOU to all who have posted here, and thank you to anachrotech for posting that video.

Unless anyone has an idea for how to remove these toxins from the tank, I will proceed with a full tear down sometime this week.

Thanks again, everyone!

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140120_025811[1].jpg
Views:	75
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	217674  
Old 01-20-2014, 06:38 AM   #76
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hopefully that was the issue and you can get your tank back to health. I initially hesitated posting as the gentleman in the video didn't seem to have 'instant death'. However, looking at the sleeve of your sterilizer it appears your problem is worse than his. He had another video prior to this one showing his seal was broken. I do see that that particular sterilizer was discontinued. Please post update when you get your tank back together.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:58 PM   #77
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Been following along. I was just going to post I had a similar problem with a UV sterilizer that leached metals into the water because it had lost a seal. Because of electrolysis, it can dump a lot of metal into the saltwater quickly. This makes the most sense.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:02 PM   #78
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Well time to toss that piece of equipment from a 4th story window! have fun and record it.
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:56 PM   #79

Quote:
Hopefully that was the issue and you can get your tank back to health. I initially hesitated posting as the gentleman in the video didn't seem to have 'instant death'. However, looking at the sleeve of your sterilizer it appears your problem is worse than his. He had another video prior to this one showing his seal was broken. I do see that that particular sterilizer was discontinued. Please post update when you get your tank back together.
There is little doubt this was/is the problem. Even the way he described how his fish were acting described my fish almost perfectly. His sterilizer was running for 1 month.....mine for 13. When I checked to make sure my equipment was working, I only looked to see the light was on inside the sterilizer. When the tray voltage test did not show any spike from plugging the sterilizer, I figured it was in good working order. But looking inside that device confirms that it was the problem.

Over the next 3 weeks - 1 month I will be doing a full reset on the tank. Removing and drying/bleaching live rock, new sand, scrubbing the sump and contents of the sump. When everything is back up and running again, I will post the results here.

Thanks again everyone for your help!

Don
Old 01-21-2014, 11:14 PM   #80
Aquarium Advice Activist

What type of water are you using? RODI, tap water, distilled water? And how are you acclimating/ introducing your fish to your systems?

Tags
dead fish, quick death, toxic tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com