Ocellaris Clown and Condi Anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Soldier0117

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I'm new to this forum and I just got a condi anemone for my ocellaris clown. I was told this wasn't the best anemone for him, but that he could take to it. I would like to know the chances of him taking to it and/or how I could persuade him to take to it. I got this one because i don't have a skimmer or powerful lighting, but was told he was a hardy anemone that could do fine. :?:

Hi I'm new to this forum and I just got a condi anemone for my ocellaris clown. I was told this wasn't the best anemone for him, but that he could take to it. I would like to know the chances of him taking to it and/or how I could persuade him to take to it. I got this one because i don't have a skimmer or powerful lighting, but was told he was a hardy anemone that could do fine.
Very slim to none for him to host ...Read here ....
link
They will also walk and have a potent sting , they also need high lighting and an established tank..... What are your tank specs ? Size , lighting, age of your system ?

my tank size: 55 gallon.
lighting: standard 15 watt florescent.
filtration: undergravel, powerfilter box, 1 small live rock, small bag of live sand
main substrate: crushed coral
skimmer: none.
other creatures: yellowbelly damsel, ocellaris clown, cleaner shrimp, some turbo snails, some hermit crabs.
Next fish i'm getting: blue hippo tang on tuesday or wednesday.

Thats odd i was told any long tentacle anemone would work for an ocellaris clown by someone with a good few years of experience with dealing with saltwater. Also that this was a low light anemone that didn't even need 50-50 bulbs. lol i just wasted 15 bucks. Even if they don't normally host could i do something to persuade the anemone to host.

my tank size: 55 gallon.
lighting: standard 15 watt florescent.
filtration: undergravel, powerfilter box, 1 small live rock, small bag of live sand
main substrate: crushed coral
skimmer: none.
other creatures: yellowbelly damsel, ocellaris clown, cleaner shrimp, some turbo snails, some hermit crabs.
Next fish i'm getting: blue hippo tang on tuesday or wednesday.

Thats odd i was told any long tentacle anemone would work for an ocellaris clown by someone with a good few years of experience with dealing with saltwater. Also that this was a low light anemone that didn't even need 50-50 bulbs. lol i just wasted 15 bucks
Unfortunately your system has several things that I am concerned about ...
1 you tank is too new for an anenome .
2 Lighting is inadequate you need to bump that up to MH 300-500 wats for that size tank if you want an anenome but for regular corals zoas , shrooms, some lps you would could do PC .
3 Substrate will trap ditrus and cause nitrAtes to rise ....
4 undergravel filer see number 3 .
5 find a new petstore or a mentor that you trust to ask questions . Petstores have a bottom line they must sell to stay in business .
Your anenome will walk around for the "happy" spot and could potentially walk into a PH and become minced and nuke your tank... HTH

hmmm... are you sure about having to upgrade to MH lights. Right now i can't afford those or any skimmers or wet drys or maybe any upgrades in general. Also is it really bad to have crused coral on bottom of tank? One good thing though my anemone can't get into any powerheads as they are sealed off. Also when my tank is good for a more delicate anemone what is the best ocellaris anemone? And i guess you cannot persuade hosting
One more thing, mind if I come to you or your fellow aquarists for help very often? :oops:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=619

http://www.fantasyreef.com/database/index.php?p=getitem&db_id=5&item_id=45

As you can see from these links you dont have any where near enough light for that type anenome. You need to rethink your LFS as he was only trying to make a sale. This anenome is a high lighting anenome and you will need much, much more lighting. Feel free to come on this site to ask any questions you need to ask. We will be glad to help you. You ought to ask your LFS if he will take it back as it will die in a few months in your tank. And inccidently even if you had proper lighting there is no guarantee that your clown would host the anenome. I had one and my two clowns choose to ignore him and host two corals instead. There is no guarantee.

okay, i've been had, but what would be the best ocellaris anemone and could I get away by putting in 50:50 bulbs and having no skimmer or wet dry? by the way my lfs is the best around the central maryland area and has been around for 20 some years and has many workers there who seem to know what they were talking about. Also it was recommended to me by my friend who has 20+ years experience in saltwater. But i made the mistake of not consulting him about anemones

hmmm... are you sure about having to upgrade to MH lights. Right now i can't afford those or any skimmers or wet drys or maybe any upgrades in general. Also is it really bad to have crused coral on bottom of tank? One good thing though my anemone can't get into any powerheads as they are sealed off. Also when my tank is good for a more delicate anemone what is the best ocellaris anemone? And i guess you cannot persuade hosting
One more thing, mind if I come to you or your fellow aquarists for help very often?
Skip the anenome all together , a 50/50 bulb will NOT help you with an anenome , Anenomes are light demanding creatures and will not tolorate low lighting or poor water conditions ... Crushed coral and undergravel filters will trap ditrus .. I would recommend using sand (I use live because it is already wet) , replace over time ...As for the coaxing to host wont happen they will host what they want .I have one that hosts a rock and another that hosts PH ....Ours would take to an anenome but I do not have the lighting for it ... He was hosting one at the LFS .. I admit I did have an anenome but had to take it back after he out grew the tank... I think you will find that there are a good many who will try to help you here so WELCOME :)

i believe that this is a condi anemone but i read they have a nasty sting, but this one cannot seem to hurt a person at all. Do you think it would be a condi. It is white with pinkish/purple tips. Also if i must get metal halide, what is the cheapest set for a 55 gallon 48 inches. And what is cheapest wet dry for 55 gallon. I cannot go over $100 maybe even less. Money is very tight with me. I seem to had made mistakes with this tank. I thought it was doing great though because the fish are happy and i have coralline algae forming which i hear is good, and i know its not the red slime algae because it is very hard to scrape of rocks. Another question is that will this anemone attack its tank mates which are a yellowbelly damsel, an ocellaris clown, a cleaner shrimp, some turbo snails, and hermit crabs

I would say that lighitng will wack you upwards of 500 dollars you could keep alot of stuff with PC lighting , with the exception of SPS ,and anenomes . Yes there are folks that keep SPS with PC lighting but it is a gamble ..Coraline grows in the darker lighting areas of the tank...If you are ok with DIY you may be able to make your own light
link

pc light
we use the smaller one
As for the anenome attacking it tank mates usually only coral , I have not read of them eating fish. However it could sting a fish , but will not go out of is way to do so if that is what you are asking ..... Some folks can't feel the sting of an anenome or are not sensitive to them , while others will require an emergency room visit.
condy

How could i make a metal halide setup myself. please forgive my ignorance, but i have no idea what i would need other than bulbs and something to put them in. Also when i bought this anemone i noticed that the aquarium center was keeping these under what seemed to be florescent bulbs, they were NOT metal halide :!: :?:

you would need a retro kit from some where like hello lights , they may have been running VHO but again not an optimal condition for the anenome ...The may have been NO lights because they bank on selling them shortly after arival ....
I am not a real big DIYer but there are others that I am sure can help you on that ...
here is a link to the MH DIY kits
MH

Back
Top Bottom